+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need help finding a job!!!

May 18, 2024
I am feeling discouraged about finding a job. I have been applying since February, but I keep getting rejected. I have been submitting my resume both in person and online, but I don't know what else to do. I have university bills due, and I'm not sure how to manage everything. I need help. I can do any type of job and I have all the time until September when I resume school.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
I am feeling discouraged about finding a job. I have been applying since February, but I keep getting rejected. I have been submitting my resume both in person and online, but I don't know what else to do. I have university bills due, and I'm not sure how to manage everything. I need help. I can do any type of job and I have all the time until September when I resume school.
Are you in Canada right now?

May 18, 2024
I have tried so many of these places, both online and in person. I have experience working as a Customer Service Representative/ Retail Sales Associate.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
I have tried so many of these places, both online and in person. I have experience working as a Customer Service Representative/ Retail Sales Associate.
Well, you face stiff competition in Halifax with all the students and summer break. You got a car to increase your radius of work opportunity?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you wanting to work into the fall? If so then tell employers that or even say you are willing to work part time. Summer time is actually a difficult tIme to get a job. You are competing with all students who go to schools around Halifax and students who have returned home for the summer. If you don’t have personal contacts it is very challenging. Also, many employers will not hire students because they are only going to work for the summer months.

I know university graduates from Dal who cannot find jobs either.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
No, I do not have a car
Look up those car rental places at the airport, they get really busy in summer and hire loads of people. Might not be the exact job you are looking for but it will bring some money. There's always McDonald's and other fast food places who are always hiring. Good luck

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Look up those car rental places at the airport, they get really busy in summer and hire loads of people. Might not be the exact job you are looking for but it will bring some money. There's always McDonald's and other fast food places who are always hiring. Good luck
OP has not said if just looking for summer employment. Even McDs doesn’t want to hire someone only coming for work a for a few months. I know because son is in post secondary.

How will OP get to Halifax airport which is an hour from Dartmouth without a car?

May 18, 2024
Are you wanting to work into the fall? If so then tell employers that or even say you are willing to work part time. Summer time is actually a difficult tIme to get a job. You are competing with all students who go to schools around Halifax and students who have returned home for the summer. If you don’t have personal contacts it is very challenging. Also, many employers will not hire students because they are only going to work for the summer months.

I know university graduates from Dal who cannot find jobs either.
I can work till the end of August I have been applying since February and I keep getting rejected.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
OP has not said if just looking for summer employment. Even McDs doesn’t want to hire someone only coming for work a for a few months. I know because son is in post secondary.

How will OP get to Halifax airport which is an hour from Dartmouth without a car?
I didn't knew it had gotten that tough. McDonald's used to be like you walk-in, ask for a job and next thing you're already working lol. I'm pretty sure the transit is really good connecting city to the airport but it could have changed. Never said it was gonna be easy but the OP has to explore everything as they are having a hard time scoring a job

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I can work till the end of August I have been applying since February and I keep getting rejected.
Unfortunately because you are only available for only summer employment, you will need to focus on seasonal jobs - summer camp counsellors, lawn maintenance, babysitting, pet sitting, farm work/farm stands etc. Can you babysit and post services on care/other websites? You are not eligible for any summer jobs that get federal government funding. You are probably too late for all the city summer jobs. Go to your local employment centre and hopefully they can give you guidance.

Last edited: