+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need help calculating my skilled work experience

Crocker

Nov 14, 2020
Hi everyone

I am applying for express entry (FSW).

1. I have 3+ years experience in plumbing and heating, 1 year part time before the apprenticeship, then a 2 year apprenticeship which was full time and paid and then 1 year part time after the apprenticeship (whilst completing pre university studies for a totally unrelated degree). So this equates to 3 years work experience altogether (2 years full time and 2 years part time). Am I correct in claiming 3 years skilled work experience during these 4 years? I believe full time, continuous and paid apprenticeships count, but am unsure whether I can claim part time work experience before the apprenticeship, and afterwards whilst I was completing pre university studies after the apprenticeship. I met the requirements/main duties for the NOC code throughout.
  2. After this I went to university for 4 years to study Biological sciences and I graduated June 2020. I have read that you cannot claim work experience gained before graduating for federal skilled worker, but my degree has nothing to do with my primary occupation I am using for express entry so can I still use it?
  3. This leads me to my third question. I am applying for federal skilled worker and not federal skilled trade because I do not have 2 years experience within the last 5 years (because I've been at university) which is a requirement for federal skilled trades. Do I need a red seal/certification from my chosen provinces in my trade for federal skilled worker? I mean is it a requirement for the actual application or once you get an ITA, I know it's a requirement to actually get a job as a plumber. It doesn't mention anything about getting red seal/province certification in the federal skilled worker category.
  4. I have worked as a qualified plumber every summer between university years for 3 months at a time, and have been doing it since graduating which equates to a total of 14 months - can I count this towards the skilled work experience? Obviously it is not continuous as it was each summer, and I was classed as a full time student because I was at university.
  5. As a fifth question, after my second year of university, I took a year out of my studies and secured a competitive internship as a brand manager (marketing) for Pfizer, a pharmaceutical company. Should I include this in my work experience section, and any other work experience for that matter? Or no? It is unrelated to my primary occupation so I assume leave it out of my work experience section?

Currently, I have claimed 3 or more years work experience in the work experience category from before my degree, as this was over a period of 4 years, and was continuous with no gaps. I have not claimed the experience gained during summers between university.

Thanks everyone any responses are appreciated :)