+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need advice...

bluezaney

Dec 2, 2018
Category........
Hello,

I am a 19 year old American who lives just an hour away from my 21 year old Canadian boyfriend. In just about 5 short months, I’m planning on trying to “move” there by him sponsoring me as a common-law partner. The way we are trying to go about this is me going there as a visitor for 6 months and extending my visit for another 6 months. I have anxiety and I tend to overthink everything so I just wanted a little advice and maybe a little reassurance if possible. I am planning on going there by bus, and I am planning on saying that I am VISITING for 6 months. I understand that I do need to have ties to the US. Therefore, I am thinking of getting a copy of my lease, I live with my older sister but I am on the lease and pay rent. I am also going to talk to my boss soon about going through this process and seeing if she will write a note or something saying that I will have my job when I return (I’m not exactly sure how that will work out because I’m not planning on coming back but if I did, I have a strong feeling they would take me back.) I am going to be going back to college next semester, but they will be all online classes. So I don’t know if that counts as ties to the US. The one thing I’m mainly worried about is money because I know for sure I won’t have a lot. I pay all my bills by myself and I work full time. I am thinking of using the money I’ll get during tax return season and my financial aid check from college to go with, which will probably be around $3-4K. I know that isn’t sufficient for 6 months. However, while we go through this process, we will be staying with his parents, rent free. We probably will not have to pay for much food unless we go out to eat. So the only finances we’d really have to worry about is gas. My boyfriend also works so he’d be supporting me in general while I’m there to visit. If I need to, how should I go about that? Should I have a letter saying that I’ll be staying with him at his parents rent free? We’re young but have been together for almost 4 years. And we think we’re ready to take this next step because each time we see each other, it’s getting harder to leave and be apart. I have a back up plan if this all fails. Which is why I don’t want to get married right now, considering my age and in case we don’t end up staying together after living with each other. That’s another reason why I want to visit for 6 months to see how it goes and if isn’t working then I’ll go back home. Is this a good way to go about it? I just want to do everything in the correct way and I’ve been doing a lot of research and have been since December 2018. Either way, thank you so much and I apologize for such a long post.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
First things first - please use paragraphs! It's hard to parse a wall of text.

You don't really need to worry too much. At the border, you will be asked a routine question - why are you coming and how long are you planning to stay. Tell them you're staying for a couple of months with a friend. This is the truth since you do not know whether you will be staying the full year yet, or even the full six months - as you say, you may decide to leave sooner if things don't work out. I don't wish this upon you, but it's quite common when couples first move in.. say you have a big fight a week later, and decide to go back home. Or heck, you get married and move back to the US a month later; who knows.

Don't complicate matters by telling them you intend to become common-law etc, unless they specifically ask you. If they ask, never lie. Answer any direct questions honestly, but there's no need to volunteer information that wasn't asked.

US citizens with clean records have the easiest time entering Canada. I assume you don't have any police history, no arrests, DUI, anything like that? With a clean record, you're probably going to spend all of 60 seconds at the border before they wave you through.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

bluezaney

Dec 2, 2018
Category........
Thank you for your reply. I’m sorry about not using paragraphs. I normally would but I was typing that in between my shift at work so I tried to be quick. I definitely do not have any police history.

So I should just say I’m staying for a couple months instead of saying specifically 6 months? Should I still have proof of ties back to the US just in case?