+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need a second opinion

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So me and my canadian husband are just waiting for my police record and then the application is off and on its way!

I've already posted a thread asking about this topic, but its still making me feel very worried so I just feel like I need a second opinion that can either calm me down and not worry about it anymore or stear me the right direction of what to do.

About seven years ago I was in a relationship with my ex and we lived together, but I honest to god cannot remember if we lived together for more than 12 months, we were together for more than a year but it's the living together that Im not sure about for how long it was. There was no legal form av seperation, we just moved apart , it was like two roomates renting an apartment together.

I just really dont know what to do, I got the advice on the forum not to mention it in the application since Im not even sure of how long we lived together. Im just really scared and worried about this cause I obviously dont wanna be at risk of misrepresentation because of this, I know we have a very straightforward and strong case ...its just this that I worry about.

So I was thinking..,is it a good idea to check on the form that I havent been in a common law relationship before and then explain the situation on a seperate sheet of paper just to be on the safe side? But Im scared of that aswell since I have absolutly no papers that proofs that me and my ex lived together for however long it was and that we moved apart.

Any advise please?? I'd be so thankful!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you aren't sure about it and there are no records of it or any documents anywhere in existence that would suggest you lived together with him for 12 months, then for all intents and purposes to CIC today, it didn't happen. To CIC he was just your boyfriend at the time and not a de facto common-law partner, so doesn't even need to be mentioned.
Really I wouldn't worry about it as it happened so long ago, and either way it would have zero effect to your application today.

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
If you aren't sure about it and there are no records of it or any documents anywhere in existence that would suggest you lived together with him for 12 months, then for all intents and purposes to CIC today, it didn't happen. To CIC he was just your boyfriend at the time and not a de facto common-law partner, so doesn't even need to be mentioned.
Really I wouldn't worry about it as it happened so long ago, and either way it would have zero effect to your application today.

Dp you think they would ask for more documentation if I did explain the situation on a seperate sheet of paper? And let's say that I check no for past common law and they for some reason are reason finds somewhere that we lived together long enough to be counted as common law, could they refuse my application becuase of that or revoke my PR in the future?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If no documentation of anything exists, the only way they would find anything is if you tell them.

Though it sounds like you are very nervous about this, so in that case you could check "yes" for that question, but then put in an explanation on a separate sheet that you lived with someone 7 years ago for "around" 12 months but are unsure of the specific dates, and have long since ended the relationship. You can include his name and where you lived, but there should be no other info needed by CIC as it will not affect anything in your app today.

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
If no documentation of anything exists, the only way they would find anything is if you tell them.

Though it sounds like you are very nervous about this, so in that case you could check "yes" for that question, but then put in an explanation on a separate sheet that you lived with someone 7 years ago for "around" 12 months but are unsure of the specific dates, and have long since ended the relationship. You can include his name and where you lived, but there should be no other info needed by CIC as it will not affect anything in your app today.

Alright that sounds like a good suggestion that I feel comfortable with. I know Im probably worrying way more than I need to about this, I just wanna do this the rigt way for me and my husband and not risk what is actually a straight forward application Thank you so much for your advise! :)

BChome

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
Wales
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0512 and 2121
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
15-07-14 & 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
22-08-2013
Med's Request
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
(03-06-2013 - expired) 26-07-2014
mrs.sweden said:
Dp you think they would ask for more documentation if I did explain the situation on a seperate sheet of paper? And let's say that I check no for past common law and they for some reason are reason finds somewhere that we lived together long enough to be counted as common law, could they refuse my application becuase of that or revoke my PR in the future?
I was officially signed into a different common-law relationship (16 years with high school sweetheart) and had only been separated for 1.5 years before I met my partner and sponsor (5 years ago). I told CIC briefly about my previous relationship (dates, name, situation) on my PR app, and have never been asked to provide any further details. My case file notes say there are no doubts about the authenticity of my relationship.
So tell CIC, its sounds like it will make you feel better about being completely open about it, and from my experience I wouldn't worry about repercussions. I imagine they'll just see it as historical information.

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BChome said:
I was officially signed into a different common-law relationship (16 years with high school sweetheart) and had only been separated for 1.5 years before I met my partner and sponsor (5 years ago). I told CIC briefly about my previous relationship (dates, name, situation) on my PR app, and have never been asked to provide any further details. My case file notes say there are no doubts about the authenticity of my relationship.
So tell CIC, its sounds like it will make you feel better about being completely open about it, and from my experience I wouldn't worry about repercussions. I imagine they'll just see it as historical information.
Thank you so much for my reply! Im gonna choose to be open and inform them about it, I know will give me some peace and then atleast I know Ive been honest about it either way :)

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BChome said:
Did you provide any documentation or any type of papers that you seperated/moved apart...thats what Im so scared of, that I will check yes for common law but have no papers about it whats so ever :(

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mrs.sweden said:
Did you provide any documentation or any type of papers that you seperated/moved apart...thats what Im so scared of, that I will check yes for common law but have no papers about it whats so ever :(
You can include your own declaration. So basically just a short paragraph that states you severed the relationship as of a certain date and have no longer been in contact with your ex since... and signed by you. Considering how long ago this happened, it really should not be an issue.

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
You can include your own declaration. So basically just a short paragraph that states you severed the relationship as of a certain date and have no longer been in contact with your ex since... and signed by you. Considering how long ago this happened, it really should not be an issue.

Alright thank you! thats what I'll do :)

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So it turns out... I found one of my old applications for International Experience Canada program, were I have declared "no" to previous Common Law relationships, and it was only three years after that I applied for that, so at that time I would have remembed if me and my ex did infact live together for more than twelve months, So Im doing the same on this application :) It obviously didnt cause any problems then so I highly think it would now right?

Im still not feeling a little worried and scared so Im still providing CIC with more information on a seperate sheet of paper about the situation. Hopefully it wont raise any questions with them and instead look at it as personal history. I've gotten my husband to sign the sheet aswell to show that he also is aware of the situation. Does this sound like a good idea?

So thankful for all the help!

ydj_dil

Apr 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2014
AOR Received.
28-Jul-2014
File Transfer...
01-Aug-2014
Med's Done....
01-Nov-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-Mar-2015
Wouldn't you now have inconsistency if in the past you declared "no" and are now saying "yes, but I can explain somewhat"? Sorry, just playing devil's advocate :p

EDIT: My bad, looks like you decided to say "no" now too, right? Good decision.

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ydj_dil said:
Wouldn't you now have inconsistency if in the past you declared "no" and are now saying "yes, but I can explain somewhat"? Sorry, just playing devil's advocate :p

EDIT: My bad, looks like you decided to say "no" now too, right? Good decision.

lol yes I decided to say no :) thank you! My police record (no crimes comitted, lol) came in the mail today and I went to the photographer today to have my immigration photos taken so now my application is complete and beeing sent off monday :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mrs.sweden said:
So it turns out... I found one of my old applications for International Experience Canada program, were I have declared "no" to previous Common Law relationships, and it was only three years after that I applied for that, so at that time I would have remembed if me and my ex did infact live together for more than twelve months, So Im doing the same on this application :) It obviously didnt cause any problems then so I highly think it would now right?

Im still not feeling a little worried and scared so Im still providing CIC with more information on a seperate sheet of paper about the situation. Hopefully it wont raise any questions with them and instead look at it as personal history. I've gotten my husband to sign the sheet aswell to show that he also is aware of the situation. Does this sound like a good idea?

So thankful for all the help!
In that case I'd go back to what I first suggested - check "no" for previous common-law question and don't even mention anything to do with your ex from such a long time ago. You need to be consistent with what you've already indicated in other apps to CIC. There is zero chance CIC will ever investigate this, and as you said there are zero documents or records in existence that would ever even indicate you had lived with someone in the past for 12 months. There is no need to explain anything and even mentioning it as a side note will only have possible negative effects... so just check "no" and move on to the next question, and don't stress about something that will never be an issue!

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
In that case I'd go back to what I first suggested - check "no" for previous common-law question and don't even mention anything to do with your ex from such a long time ago. You need to be consistent with what you've already indicated in other apps to CIC. There is zero chance CIC will ever investigate this, and as you said there are zero documents or records in existence that would ever even indicate you had lived with someone in the past for 12 months. There is no need to explain anything and even mentioning it as a side note will only have possible negative effects... so just check "no" and move on to the next question, and don't stress about something that will never be an issue!
Well the reason for the note would be if they checked my previous adresses and sees that Ive lived at the same adress as some other guy. The note would be in purpose of explaining that.