+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I may have erroneously paid for biometrics - is this a big deal?

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
Hey there - I'm sponsoring my wife who is from the United States. When I originally paid my fees, the tool that I used to determine whether or not we had to pay for biometrics said that we would have to pay for biometrics if my wife was applying for permanent residence. I checked it now, and it says that you *don't* have to give biometrics if you're applying for a permanent resident card, but you do if you are applying for permanent residence? I don't understand...

I'm using this tool, and USA as the country - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/biometrics.asp - Where it asks "Are you applying for a permanent resident card," if I answer "Yes" it says that we don't need to provide biometrics. If I answer "no" it says that we have to provide biometrics if we are applying for permanent residence. I'm baffled, frankly.

I included biometrics fees when I paid for my application. Will they just refund me the money if they don't need it, or will it cause greater complications?

Let me know. Thanks!

Edit - Nevermind. The guide says that they will refund the fees. I'm still confused at whether or not we need biometrics lol. I'm glad I paid for them regardless.

Ottawagal

Aug 18, 2019
If you are sponsoring then she is applying for permanent residence and not just the permanent resident card and did indeed need to pay the biometrics fee.

Reactions: goldfinger

jackhcd

Star Member
Nov 21, 2016
Category........
CEC
Hey there - I'm sponsoring my wife who is from the United States. When I originally paid my fees, the tool that I used to determine whether or not we had to pay for biometrics said that we would have to pay for biometrics if my wife was applying for permanent residence. I checked it now, and it says that you *don't* have to give biometrics if you're applying for a permanent resident card, but you do if you are applying for permanent residence? I don't understand...

I'm using this tool, and USA as the country - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/biometrics.asp - Where it asks "Are you applying for a permanent resident card," if I answer "Yes" it says that we don't need to provide biometrics. If I answer "no" it says that we have to provide biometrics if we are applying for permanent residence. I'm baffled, frankly.

I included biometrics fees when I paid for my application. Will they just refund me the money if they don't need it, or will it cause greater complications?

Let me know. Thanks!

Edit - Nevermind. The guide says that they will refund the fees. I'm still confused at whether or not we need biometrics lol. I'm glad I paid for them regardless.
HI there,

In your case (spousal sponsorship) the biometric fee is certainly required. The permanent resident card question refers to the newly landed immigrant/individuals renewing the PR card.

If IRCC deem you do not need biometrics for your case, the fee will be refunded directly to the form of payment (e.g. your credit card).