+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I m on PR my wife is on visitor visa and pregnant now, what to do for pregnancy coverage?

Onlinehobby

Mar 12, 2022
I m on PR residing in ON, Spouse is pregnant on visitor visa with outland spouse PR application in process for more than a year (no stage one approval, also with current scenario 23 months processing),
no OHIP coverage, no travel insurance coverage available.

1. Should we move to any other province where it is possible to cover pregnancy costs? or
2. do we have any option in Ontario ?
3. what would be the consultation, scan, lab tests, delivery cost in Ontario ?

Any guidance or suggestions please...dont have much savings..did not foresee this situation

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I m on PR residing in ON, Spouse is pregnant on visitor visa with outland spouse PR application in process for more than a year (no stage one approval, also with current scenario 23 months processing),

1. Should we move to any other province where it is possible to cover pregnancy costs? or

Any guidance or suggestions please...dont have much savings..did not foresee this situation
Most provinces won’t cover pregnancy but you can look at every province. If you do move you may have to commit to 12 months minimum in that province. If you don’t have employment in the other province that will also create problems depending on your level of savings and moving is expensive. Do you have a current lease? If you leave a lease early you are responsible for the remainder of the lease. Pregnancy costs are 10-20k+ depending on how much intervention you need. All these things need to be considered.

Reactions: Onlinehobby

Onlinehobby

Mar 12, 2022
Most provinces won’t cover pregnancy but you can look at every province. If you do move you may have to commit to 12 months minimum in that province. If you don’t have employment in the other province that will also create problems depending on your level of savings and moving is expensive. Do you have a current lease? If you leave a lease early you are responsible for the remainder of the lease. Pregnancy costs are 10-20k+ depending on how much intervention you need. All these things need to be considered.
I found out that in SK, they are providing coverage starting in 3rd month after moving there, only thing I want to clarify is that in SK will they give coverage to my wife if she is visitor visa, there is no clear mentioning in sk website, it is mentioned dependents of PR are covered

Onlinehobby

Mar 12, 2022
my lease is getting over by August
employment i can manage
12 mnths commitment i can give..if i can get healthcare coverage

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You’ll need to confirm with SK since it’s unclear if your spouse will also have to wait the 3 months until you qualify. SK is not a common place people move to as immigrants especially to access healthcare so not as familiar with their healthcare system. In general plans are made so that people aren’t incentivized to move provinces to access healthcare. Would also look into how hard it is to find a GP and OB taking patients.