+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I lost my PR Card and I have my oath taking next week. What should I do?

john1288

May 1, 2016
Hello everyone,

I took the test a week ago and passed it. The CIC sent me a letter to take the oatk of citizenship next week, May 11, 2016. Having said that, I have lost my PR card while re-organizing my documents. I don't know what to do about this issue. I mean, I do have the photocopy of my PR card and an old/expired PR card with me. Does anyone know if these are good enough for me to bring or should I re-apply for a replacement PR card? Please help!!! Sad

-John-

Reactions: Monsta

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My spouse used a PR card that had been expired for several years (because it was never renewed) and there was no problem. So, I would try just turning in the old one and seeing if there is any problem. Also take the photocopy, but don't show it unless you're questioned about the missing card.

john1288

May 1, 2016
Hello,

Oh I see. I was actually worried about this since yesterday because I was busy organizing everything before the oath taking next week. One more question. Do I have to call the CIC and report to them that I have lost my valid PR card or can I just turn in my old/expired PR card on the day of my oath taking?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
john1288 said:
Hello,
Oh I see. I was actually worried about this since yesterday because I was busy organizing everything before the oath taking next week. One more question. Do I have to call the CIC and report to them that I have lost my valid PR card or can I just turn in my old/expired PR card on the day of my oath taking?
It's up to you, but since your oath taking is so close, I would suggest not mentioning it at all and turning in your expired card. If it is questioned, you can always tell them about losing it, in which case they will either let you take the oath anyway OR postpone the ceremony.

john1288

May 1, 2016
Oh okay. So I guess I have to wait until next week and see if they will tell me if I can go on with an expired PR card or I nhave to reapply for a new /replacement PR card. Thanks for the help anyway.

Best,

-John-

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
john1288 said:
Oh okay. So I guess I have to wait until next week and see if they will tell me if I can go on with an expired PR card or I nhave to reapply for a new /replacement PR card. Thanks for the help anyway.

Best,

-John-
More information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/revocation.asp

sunafi

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
john1288 said:
Hello,

* I am not lawyer / expert, and just sharing view as per my experience.

1. You should not worry if there is no issue in already submitted document.

2. I think, even if you call CIC & let them know, they won't be able to intervene at any level - and will do adding of information (as comment) you tell them.

3. You should not mis-represent during Oath ceremony by giving expired PR card if you have received latest; and should let officer / clerk know about the situation.

When I attended oath ceremony, officer was giving information (to all as speaker in big room) and one of the instruction was - if you have planned trip outside of Canada in upcoming days or if you need your PR card back , please meet me after the oath ceremony, basically you can get your PR card back for valid reason(s).

-- Once we get Citizenship, we are suppose to travel on Canadian passport, but if someone travel on existing non-Canadian passport then that person needs PR card to get back into Canada. Although, one can't have Citizenship / PR card simultaneously; CIC still allows to keep PR card back for valid reasons.

if you don't let know officer on oath day in advance
--- you might be worried during the ceremony
--- If person noticed that it's expired and asked you - still you need to share the detail.

I think, officer can still allow you to attend ceremony if you show old PR card + new PR card copy + valid explanation.

It's your call but if I am at your place, I would have let CIC/ officer know on oath day.

Good luck.

Reactions: Monsta