+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I live in UAE, can I put my partner as common law?

csm1507

Mar 24, 2019
United Arab Emirates
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I live in UAE, where living together is not allowed, can I put my partner as common law? If yes, what proofs can we give? We constantly send money to one another for our expenses. However, our accommodation and utility bills are covered by our company.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I live in UAE, where living together is not allowed, can I put my partner as common law? If yes, what proofs can we give? We constantly send money to one another for our expenses. However, our accommodation and utility bills are covered by our company.
Simple answer - no. Common-law requires a mandatory minimum of 12 consecutive months of physical cohabitation with no significant breaks. Cohabitation means living together under the same roof, in the same property. Essentially just as if you are a married couple.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Actually, it is possible. Not easy, but here's how it works.

A common-law partner is defined as "common-law partner means, in relation to a person, an individual who is cohabiting with the person in a conjugal relationship, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year. (conjoint de fait)"

So you haven't cohabited. However, you may qualify as a conjugal partner

"
Interpretation — common-law partner

(2) For the purposes of the Act and these Regulations, an individual who has been in a conjugal relationship with a person for at least one year but is unable to cohabit with the person, due to persecution or any form of penal control, shall be considered a common-law partner of the person."

These are the from the Regulations that govern Immigration to Canada. -> https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-1.html#h-2

Practically speaking, you will need to talk to an experienced immigration attorney/consultant to understand how you can prove that you have been in a conjugal relationship for at least one year, but were not able to cohabit due to fear of persecution. This is way out of the scope of this forum.

Just know that it is possible in theory, whether or not you can prove it in your specific case is a different matter.

kato20182020

Aug 29, 2018
did
did you ever find a solution to this?