Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
did anyone contact the office processing their visa and ask if/when their passport was mailed?
they've had mine a month and i am climbing the walls its my only ID i can't even go out with my husband for dinner

I

iarblue

U dont have a birth certificate? And you can email them to inquire but by the time they answer you may have it back they are sloooooooooooow slow at everything.They send it back snail mail but from the US to CAN it does seem long.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
iarblue said:
U dont have a birth certificate? And you can email them to inquire but by the time they answer you may have it back they are sloooooooooooow slow at everything.They send it back snail mail but from the US to CAN it does seem long.
a birth certificate is not an ID

I

iarblue

your right it just show birth but no its not an id.Did you try calling the visa office you are allowed to

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
iarblue said:
your right it just show birth but no its not an id.Did you try calling the visa office you are allowed to
NYC visa office doesn't take calls at all
i think i may email them i'll give it another week
my biggest worry is my visitor status will run out before it shows and i'll have to figure out how to get back into the states with out proper ID

I

iarblue

Back into the states for what reason and take the proof that your passport has been mailed to the visa office for a PR take any proof you have that its in the Visa office you will be fine going back now coming back in could be a different story.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
iarblue said:
Back into the states for what reason and take the proof that your passport has been mailed to the visa office for a PR take any proof you have that its in the Visa office you will be fine going back now coming back in could be a different story.
if my visitors status runs out before my PP shows

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Could you apply to have your status extended? Even if it's close to being out, as soon as you apply you have 100 days of implied status until they process the extension.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
i could but it seems like a waste of money to me, if there is one thing i will miss about the states is our postal service

I

iarblue

LOL its not if you could you have to.You either keep your status legal or go home thats you choices,how can it seem like a waste of money to stay with your spouse you cant be out of status,yes your passport might come back before your visa runs out but then again it might not.You need to apply for the extension.Or like i said get in contact with the visa office somehow and ask if it has been sent back or what the status is and if you cantr contact them then you need to extend.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
iarblue said:
LOL its not if you could you have to.You either keep your status legal or go home thats you choices,how can it seem like a waste of money to stay with your spouse you cant be out of status,yes your passport might come back before your visa runs out but then again it might not.You need to apply for the extension.Or like i said get in contact with the visa office somehow and ask if it has been sent back or what the status is and if you cantr contact them then you need to extend.
i do not have to, it won't kill me to have to go back to the states, and while it will be in a pain in the ass if my visitors status runs out they can't exactly tell me "well you have to stay in Canada because you don't have a passport"
it can seem like a waste of money because i support my husband on my savings and it will be a lot cheaper to go back to the states and hell even work for a little while while waiting for him to get my passport than to stay here pay to extend my visa and not be working whats best for my family comes before what i may want and while i dislike being away from him i also dislike not being able to put a plate of food in front of him at the end of the day, we live on a very tight budget with no wiggle room for any expenses
and as i said i have every intention on contacting the visa office.
i know you didn't mean for your reply to come off as rude. however i have read several of your post and you have a habit of talking down to everyone as though you know something the rest of us are missing out on when really you are only aware of your own experiences and what you have read, your own interpretation, i am sure you are a good man you seem to really love your wife but please look at how you talk to people on here we are all in delicate situations and don't need other people putting us down for no reason what so ever

I

iarblue

I was not putting you down i just said you said it was a waste of your time applying for the extension.I said how could it be cause you stated you could not get to the US without a passport i also told you earlier take the info that states your passport is in with the visa office and they should not have a problem letting you through.
You could even likely and it may work for you go to the states turn around go to the canadian border with the same info i told you to bring and tey will likely stamp your passport for another 6 months stay without you even having to pay for another 6 months.
Seeing as you are from the US thats what i would do it will save money and you will be here with him.Take all the proof you can to show your passport is in the visa offfice they will let you into the US with your birth certificate go for lunch the go to the Canadian border and tell them your passport is with the visa office as they are putting your visa in it and you were running out of status they may just let you in and give you another 6 months and if they say no well then you go to the states and work for a bit.I
I cant tell you what to do but if it was me i would just stay here wait for the passport.Its not like the visa office gets a notice that you are out of status.But thats me thats the chance i would take its up to you what is best for you and i would never talk down to you i just could not understand how you said it would be a waste to apply for the extension to stay.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
iarblue said:
I was not putting you down i just said you said it was a waste of your time applying for the extension.I said how could it be cause you stated you could not get to the US without a passport i also told you earlier take the info that states your passport is in with the visa office and they should not have a problem letting you through.
You could even likely and it may work for you go to the states turn around go to the canadian border with the same info i told you to bring and tey will likely stamp your passport for another 6 months stay without you even having to pay for another 6 months.
Seeing as you are from the US thats what i would do it will save money and you will be here with him.Take all the proof you can to show your passport is in the visa offfice they will let you into the US with your birth certificate go for lunch the go to the Canadian border and tell them your passport is with the visa office as they are putting your visa in it and you were running out of status they may just let you in and give you another 6 months and if they say no well then you go to the states and work for a bit.I
I cant tell you what to do but if it was me i would just stay here wait for the passport.Its not like the visa office gets a notice that you are out of status.But thats me thats the chance i would take its up to you what is best for you and i would never talk down to you i just could not understand how you said it would be a waste to apply for the extension to stay.
i never said it was a waste of my time, i did say it was a waste of my money and still agree i think the 2000+ i have put into it is more than enough, and as i said i am sure you didn't mean to be rude, but you have to look at the way you word things to people on here.

in any case none of this has anything to do with my question which was
has anyone else had to contact their visa office to find out if they mailed their passport back i didn't need to know my options i am well aware of my options what i wanted to know was should i bother expecting a reply as i know the visa offices very often don't

I

iarblue

Did you email them?And yes it takes them i think in any visa office 2 or more weeks for a reply.I sent an email 2.5 weeks ago still got no reply.When does your status expire.
And i dont talk down im just straight forward.I just say exactly what the manual says.Ex people ask if they should put down children on their app if they dont even see them .When it clearly in the manual states you must so then i send them the exact quote.
Or there are 10 messages everyday asking the same thing can they bring their spouse here to stay while the PR is in process,the same answer all the time you can apply.
But back to your question i think a lot of people including me have contacted the visa office and its the same thing everytime they take 2 or more weeks to reply.
And i guess its up to you if you apply for the extension,wait here out of status (which i would do as it should not be much longer) or go back to the states and wait trust me i feel your frustration and i would be going crazy too.
But email them and maybe you get lucky and they answer right away.Get the local MP to call them they will do an inquiry for you.Call Mississauga and explain to them what is going on.
But seriously if it was me i would just stay and wait,

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
iarblue said:
Did you email them?And yes it takes them i think in any visa office 2 or more weeks for a reply.I sent an email 2.5 weeks ago still got no reply.When does your status expire.
And i dont talk down im just straight forward.I just say exactly what the manual says.Ex people ask if they should put down children on their app if they dont even see them .When it clearly in the manual states you must so then i send them the exact quote.
Or there are 10 messages everyday asking the same thing can they bring their spouse here to stay while the PR is in process,the same answer all the time you can apply.
But back to your question i think a lot of people including me have contacted the visa office and its the same thing everytime they take 2 or more weeks to reply.
And i guess its up to you if you apply for the extension,wait here out of status (which i would do as it should not be much longer) or go back to the states and wait trust me i feel your frustration and i would be going crazy too.
But email them and maybe you get lucky and they answer right away.Get the local MP to call them they will do an inquiry for you.Call Mississauga and explain to them what is going on.
But seriously if it was me i would just stay and wait,
i emailed Friday night / Saturday morning. or it may have been Thursday to Friday, i can barely tell which day is which anymore
I've noticed with something they reply immediately and with others they take their time it also seems they pick and chose on whim like when my first passport was lost it took them forever to get back to me (with some minor harassment) but when i contacted them with some trite question a while back they replied the same day, its all very odd and rather stressful.