+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I just got my PR Visa today, I'm wondering what the next steps are

blackshiinobi

Jul 20, 2023
Hello,
Today I received my passport with the Canadian VISA and I wanted to ask about two things:
First is housing, am I supposed to find housing before I even get to Canada ? is that even possible ? if so how do you guys recommend I go about finding a good place to rent.
Secondly, I wanted to ask about jobs, I'm a web developer and I wonder if I should try and find work in my field before I even leave for Canada, or do the employers require your presence before accepting you as an employee ? if I can get a job from my current country, can I get recommendations on some good job websites.
Thank you and I wish all good luck.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello,
Today I received my passport with the Canadian VISA and I wanted to ask about two things:
First is housing, am I supposed to find housing before I even get to Canada ? is that even possible ? if so how do you guys recommend I go about finding a good place to rent.
Secondly, I wanted to ask about jobs, I'm a web developer and I wonder if I should try and find work in my field before I even leave for Canada, or do the employers require your presence before accepting you as an employee ? if I can get a job from my current country, can I get recommendations on some good job websites.
Try to get a job pre-landing. Easier for folks in tech to do so. Makes your transition easier, makes it easier to select where to live, rent, etc too.

About housing, you can:
1. Get an Airbnb for a 20-30 days and then search for a rental after landing.
2. Contact realtors in your city (only works for GTA/GVA), see if they are willing to work with you. Expect to pay 4-6 months of rent upfront. And most likely rent a place without ever even seeing it. Has its risks.
3. Contact rental listings in your target city on Facebook and Kjiji markeplaces and see if you can get one. The issue is that most of these places will be rented in days while you have not even landed.

It all depends on how sooner or later you are planning to move. If you are moving in 20 days, maybe start asap. If you are moving in 2-3 months, rental might just be too early. You can decide from #1, #2 or #3 in terms of what you'll do.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2. Contact realtors in your city (only works for GTA/GVA), see if they are willing to work with you. Expect to pay 4-6 months of rent upfront. And most likely rent a place without ever even seeing it. Has its risks.
:eek: That sounds like it should be illegal!

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/06r17#BK169

Security deposits, limitation

(1) The only security deposit that a landlord may collect is a rent deposit collected in accordance with section 106. 2006, c. 17, s. 105 (1).

Amount of rent deposit

(2) The amount of a rent deposit shall not be more than the lesser of the amount of rent for one rent period and the amount of rent for one month. 2006, c. 17, s. 106 (2).

How do you get the 4-6 months upfront?

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023

(1) The only security deposit that a landlord may collect is a rent deposit collected in accordance with section 106. 2006, c. 17, s. 105 (1).

Amount of rent deposit

(2) The amount of a rent deposit shall not be more than the lesser of the amount of rent for one rent period and the amount of rent for one month. 2006, c. 17, s. 106 (2).

It's in fact illegal and unfair, but the it's usually the only way a realtor will work with your before you land in Canada. The Airbnb route is probably better.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

Amount of rent deposit

I agree that it is not right. But that's sadly becoming a commonly accepted practice.

Right now Airbnb's are costing ~$4-6k/mo, so people feel that giving up 4 months upfront is less costly compared to staying in an Airbnb for a month or more.

blackshiinobi

Jul 20, 2023
Try to get a job pre-landing. Easier for folks in tech to do so. Makes your transition easier, makes it easier to select where to live, rent, etc too.

About housing, you can:
1. Get an Airbnb for a 20-30 days and then search for a rental after landing.
3. Contact rental listings in your target city on Facebook and Kjiji markeplaces and see if you can get one. The issue is that most of these places will be rented in days while you have not even landed.

It all depends on how sooner or later you are planning to move. If you are moving in 20 days, maybe start asap. If you are moving in 2-3 months, rental might just be too early. You can decide from #1, #2 or #3 in terms of what you'll do.
Thanks a lot for the help, I think I'll try to get a job before landing and see where to go from there, I still have some time before I go to Canada, around 3 months.
Any job listings website you can recommend ? or is it the usual Linkedin, Indeed ?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

Amount of rent deposit

Definitely illegal in the sense that the landlord cannot demand more than 1 month rent upfront, but the applicant/realtor can choose to offer it to sweeten the deal. Sadly common practice in the GTA, especially for students and newcomers in lieu of proof of income/employment.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Definitely illegal in the sense that the landlord cannot demand more than 1 month rent upfront, but the applicant/realtor can choose to offer it to sweeten the deal. Sadly common practice in the GTA, especially for students and newcomers in lieu of proof of income/employment.
They might also ask for proof of employment, references and credit report . Which has been asked from individuals applying to rent a place for eons . Landlords aren’t going to change what they’ve been asking from people here in Canada, just because the person is from overseas .

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thanks a lot for the help, I think I'll try to get a job before landing and see where to go from there, I still have some time before I go to Canada, around 3 months.
Any job listings website you can recommend ? or is it the usual Linkedin, Indeed ?
You can try the Job Bank:

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/home

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's in fact illegal and unfair, but the it's usually the only way a realtor will work with your before you land in Canada. The Airbnb route is probably better.
Those realtors should be reported to not only the LTB in Ontario, but also the RECO complaint department . Disgusting!

Tenancy regulations should apply to any and all applicants.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Those realtors should be reported to not only the LTB in Ontario, but also the RECO complaint department . Disgusting!

Tenancy regulations should apply to any and all applicants.
A friend was put in an under construction apartment by one of those realtors recently - they paid 4 months of rent upfront too. Most newcomers have no idea that LTBs even exist.

Reactions: rcincanada2019

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
A friend was put in an under construction apartment by one of those realtors recently - they paid 4 months of rent upfront too. Most newcomers have no idea that LTBs even exist.
I've been here since 2018 and I have no idea that LTB exists...

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,
Job search on the regular route. LinkedIn, Indeed ...etc.

Air B&B is a good way to start so you know the area before you commit to a long term rental.

It's hard to do so remotely. So start from Air B&B or other short term rental. The once you settle with your new job and know that area you want, look for a long term rental home.

blackshiinobi

Jul 20, 2023
Job search on the regular route. LinkedIn, Indeed ...etc.

Air B&B is a good way to start so you know the area before you commit to a long term rental.

It's hard to do so remotely. So start from Air B&B or other short term rental. The once you settle with your new job and know that area you want, look for a long term rental home.
Last question, how do I make employers know that even tho I'm in a different country right now, I already have my PR VISA. Do I mention it next to my current country in the CV, something like this: "Australia (Already have PR VISA)" ? or is there a better way ?