+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I just get married last week, do I have to update CIC during the exam next week?

flamingteeth

Star Member
May 26, 2014
Hi all:

My citizenship exam is next Thursday, and I get get married in my home country last week.

do I have to tell the CO during the interview? This will delay my oath? (My marriage certificate is under process and will be done in a month :(... )

Can I just say I am still common law? Because there is no evidence in Canada that I am married..

Thanks a lot for this.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
It will not be an issue. However, do NOT conceal this information because one of the questions you will be asked during the interview is: "Do you have any family in Canada?" or "What is your marital status?" or something like that. If you lie, or conceal the information, it may delay your application, or have even more serious consequences beyond the application process. What you should do, in my opinion, is inform the officer you got married in your home country, show them the ticket/itinerary, and any other circumstantial document in lieu of the marriage certificate.

See another similar discussion here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/i-may-get-married-while-waiting-for-my-citizenship-do-i-need-to-inform-cic-t234050.0.html.

toonca

Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm single and only got one question in the interview "are you working now?" So the agent may not ask you that question.

flamingteeth

Star Member
May 26, 2014
thanks for this.

I will just say I am still common law then. Because no one can find out that I am married now. My wife is not in the application either. She will be able to apply in 4 years. I do not want to delay my application if they ask for marriage certificate or something.

If they still RQ me, the worse case is that I can keep claiming to be common law until my citizenship is approve, and I by the time then, I will be good.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
flamingteeth said:
thanks for this.

I will just say I am still common law then. Because no one can find out that I am married now. My wife is not in the application either. She will be able to apply in 4 years. I do not want to delay my application if they ask for marriage certificate or something.

If they still RQ me, the worse case is that I can keep claiming to be common law until my citizenship is approve, and I by the time then, I will be good.
Don't hide anything if your marriage/spouse information is being asked during the interview. If you hide it then you never know when in future it can backfire.
CIC wants truthful applicants and honest citizens.
There could be no reason for the delay and if the delay happens then atleast you would be confident that you stated the truth.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Just a note to concur with those who say to be truthful.

There is very little to gain by not being truthful. But a lot to lose. And how does this work later if and when either of you have to respond to a question about the date of your marriage? You lie for the rest of your life hoping the government does not stumble across some information revealing the truth? Citizenship never secure since misrepresentation can result in revocation even decades later, many decades later.

Odds are you will not be asked directly about your marital status. Since the applicant is required to notify CIC if any material information in the application changes, technically you are obligated to report the marriage even without being asked. But at this stage I doubt there would be any repercussions for what might technically be a material misrepresentation by omission. So, if you are not asked, probably no big deal if you do not bring it up.

But if you are asked, there is no doubt. The prudent thing to do is to tell the truth. It would be, frankly, foolish to fudge this at all.