+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have work in Alberta Canada for 8 months, now my girl friend get pregnant

JieYang

May 6, 2016
Hi, all,

I have worked in Calgary since last Sep. under a work permit. I was plan to get my girlfriend to Canada this July and she will apply a Ph.D in Canada. However, I went back to China this April to visit her and give her a surprise. And the biggest surprise is that she got pregnant! Now, I am wonder if my Alberta health insurance can cover her medical expense here ? (She currently hold a visitor visa)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
JieYang said:
Hi, all,

I have worked in Calgary since last Sep. under a work permit. I was plan to get my girlfriend to Canada this July and she will apply a Ph.D in Canada. However, I went back to China this April to visit her and give her a surprise. And the biggest surprise is that she got pregnant! Now, I am wonder if my Alberta health insurance can cover her medical expense here ? (She currently hold a visitor visa)
You must be married, or be an official "Adult interdependent partners" meaning you have lived together 3 years or live together after you have a child together. So once you have the baby, she may then be eligible to be added. This won't help for pregnancy/delivery though.
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

You can't add girlfriends as dependents for healthcare purposes.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JieYang said:
Hi, we will get married this july, will this help?
If you get married and you apply for her TRV or open work permit based on your work permit, then she will be covered under AB health too as your dependent.