+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have valid work permit but visa has expired can I travel outside canada

bcilliers

Jan 3, 2019
Hi

I have a valid work permit (it's just been extended by cic) but the visa we were issued with the initial work permit has now expired. when I extended I did request temporary residency status as part of the extension. our new work permits arrived in the mail in Canada. Can I travel back to South Africa and get back into Canada or do I need another visa to be issued? if so how do I go about this? Thank you.

Stillbefree

Apr 27, 2017
Hey. Work permits and visas are usually different things..If your visa has expired then I believe you need to get it renewed/new one to enter Canada again even if you have a valid work permit. If you are in Canada you should be able to apply online for TRV extension based on your extended work permits. I do not, however, know exactly which form. You might need to research that on cic website.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi

I have a valid work permit (it's just been extended by cic) but the visa we were issued with the initial work permit has now expired. when I extended I did request temporary residency status as part of the extension. our new work permits arrived in the mail in Canada. Can I travel back to South Africa and get back into Canada or do I need another visa to be issued? if so how do I go about this? Thank you.
1/ Two different processes.
2. You get your extended work permit, once you have that you can apply for a new TRV in Canada. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-new-temporary-resident-visa-within-canada.html