+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have my student visa approval, and I want my husband to travel with me, I don't know what to do, help!!

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
It is stated on canada.ca that my husband may travel with me if he is going to help me to establish in the country, but we were about to apply for an OWP. If we apply from México, it would take only 4 weeks to evaluate the application, and if we do it from Canada, it would take 19 weeks.

Do you think it is better to do it after entering Canada or before?

On one hand, it is not a discretionary purpose if he travels to work with an OWP without the job offer, so he could be rejected to enter the country, but the application evaluation would be shorter.
On the other hand, if we don't apply for his OWP he probably will have less problems being accepted in the country and we could ask for the OWP later, but he will be 19 weeks without an income.

What do you think guys?, which option is better?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is stated on canada.ca that my husband may travel with me if he is going to help me to establish in the country, but we were about to apply for an OWP. If we apply from México, it would take only 4 weeks to evaluate the application, and if we do it from Canada, it would take 19 weeks.

Do you think it is better to do it after entering Canada or before?

On one hand, it is not a discretionary purpose if he travels to work with an OWP without the job offer, so he could be rejected to enter the country, but the application evaluation would be shorter.
On the other hand, if we don't apply for his OWP he probably will have less problems being accepted in the country and we could ask for the OWP later, but he will be 19 weeks without an income.

What do you think guys?, which option is better?
Don't believe that OWP from Mexico will be 4 weeks. Currently most OWP are taking 5+ months. Getting a job may be very difficult. Given covid, many are unemployed and most employers are not hiring. You can't count on either of you finding employment.