+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have been outside Canada for 4.5 years. Can they stop me from entering the country?

Aminmega

Apr 9, 2018
Hi

I got my PR 4.5 years ago and moved to Canada with my wife. (She was the main applicant). After 45 days, my dad was diagnosed with diabetes type B which practically stopped him from working and I had to return to my home country to take care of my family. I came back and took care of his affairs, made a reliable source of income for my mom and dad and now I'm ready to go back. During the time that I was away, my wife (who stayed in Canada) divorced me and remarried there.
I know that I will have to appeal for my PR and it's probably best for me to get a lawyer. But my question is that, is there a possibility that they stop me from entering Canada upon my arrival?

Thanks in advance for your help

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi

I got my PR 4.5 years ago and moved to Canada with my wife. (She was the main applicant). After 45 days, my dad was diagnosed with diabetes type B which practically stopped him from working and I had to return to my home country to take care of my family. I came back and took care of his affairs, made a reliable source of income for my mom and dad and now I'm ready to go back. During the time that I was away, my wife (who stayed in Canada) divorced me and remarried there.
I know that I will have to appeal for my PR and it's probably best for me to get a lawyer. But my question is that, is there a possibility that they stop me from entering Canada upon my arrival?

Thanks in advance for your help
First thing is do you still have a valid PR card given without one unless you get a PRTD you cannot fly back to Canada. If you apply for a PRTD then this will highlight your residency failure and could lead to the revoke process starting.

Instead of flying direct you could if you have a US visa come back through the US/ Canada land border but still run risk of being reported.

Second if you manage to get to Canada then as a PR you are entitled to enter the country just be prepared in your case to be reported for failing the residency obligation, leading to your PR being revoked. You can appeal this and maybe you have a H&C reasons for the appeal difficult to say hence maybe think about a good lawyer.

If on other hand you manage to enter the country without being reported you need to stay for min 2 years without leaving or trying to renew your PR card or really avoid any interaction with immigration.

Aminmega

Apr 9, 2018
First thing is do you still have a valid PR card given without one unless you get a PRTD you cannot fly back to Canada. If you apply for a PRTD then this will highlight your residency failure and could lead to the revoke process starting.

Instead of flying direct you could if you have a US visa come back through the US/ Canada land border but still run risk of being reported.

Second if you manage to get to Canada then as a PR you are entitled to enter the country just be prepared in your case to be reported for failing the residency obligation, leading to your PR being revoked. You can appeal this and maybe you have a H&C reasons for the appeal difficult to say.

If on other hand you manage to enter the country without being reported you need to stay for min 2 years without leaving or trying to renew your PR card or really avoid any interaction with immigration.

Hi,
Yes I still have my valid PR card. Thanks for your reply. So from what I've gathered so far, it's best to enter from Toronto and use the automated immigration processing to reduce the chance of inspection. Is this correct?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Hi,
Yes I still have my valid PR card. Thanks for your reply. So from what I've gathered so far, it's best to enter from Toronto and use the automated immigration processing to reduce the chance of inspection. Is this correct?
It is still a high chance that the officer who inspects the kiosk slip will ask when you left Canada. This is where you may run into problems.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Aminmega

Apr 9, 2018
Good. Thank for the info. I got what I wanted to know. They won't deport me in the airport. Good enough for me.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Good. Thank for the info. I got what I wanted to know. They won't deport me in the airport. Good enough for me.
No they will not. They normally cannot refuse you entry. You may or may not be reported to IRCC.... but they have to let you in, regardless