+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have been arrested & detained for domestic assault. Will this affect my PR process.

Pepsi_cola_79

Nov 11, 2023
thanks for your reply. Would you advise I get a lawyer and make a recant statement, explaining he was drunk when that happened? And would alcohol management classes help before his first appearance in court. He doesnt have the financial ability to hire a lawyer and I’m so scared he would go to jail.
First nothing happen at first appearance, until he received disclosure from crown, he might get next date at first appearance, he will not go to jail at first appearance, this case takes 1 or 2 years if this goes to trial, hire a lawyer for reluctant statement, just do not cooperate from now with crown, but with caution & legal advise, if your not willing to testify at court, they can't force you, if case is really serious they will subpoena you to testify you, if you don't go you might get in to trouble, so you hire a lawyer.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
lot of judgemental high horse people here. But I am replying to you for your question and not a judgement for your relationship with your boyfriend like the other VIP judge Judy poster here who seems to get triggered on every domestic violence question for some reason.

Your case will be handled by crown prosecutor. The charges are laid based on your statement. Domestic violence cases cannot be dropped. It is upto to the crown prosecutor to drop the charges or the judge if it gets to the trial. What you can do is not to fan the fire anymore by not cooperating with the prosecutor for further proceedings of the case.

Your boyfriend should get a defence lawyer and they should work with prosecutor to lower down and strike off charges undergo counselling, anger management, conditional discharge etc. This will cost you time and money and further issues down the road for your boyfriend for job opportunities, immigration etc with a criminal records or a non conviction record.

Police and court are not your friends. Think twice when calling cops for a small domestic fight which can be resolved with love and understanding rather than getting police involved. If your life is in danger by all means call the cops, but not silly fights.
On the flip side , there’s always some pieces of work on here that run to defend the accused in DV cases .
You’d have fit in perfectly in Canada in the 1970’s, not so much in 2023.
Just when the country was actually getting respect for the accusers in DV cases , immigration from countries where DV is acceptable , and the man is treated like Jesus Christ at all costs , changes all that.
God , there in for a rude awakening.
* For clarity purposes, best that you disclose you were charged with DV .
What a piece of work .

“Whenever the crown prosecutor called to update on the case, the wife gave a templated reply: "I have no charges and the police over reacted because we were not white". Something along the lines of implied intention "I wont be cooperating with you and wont appear in court". The prosecutor dropped the charges after the prosecutor got fed up that wife wont cooperate and no meat for the case. This is such a waste of money for the Canadian tax payers when they should be looking into genuine cases than trying to lock up every husband of wives who call 911 on an impulse or revengeful neighbours.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubyred

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
lot of judgemental high horse people here. But I am replying to you for your question and not a judgement for your relationship with your boyfriend like the other VIP judge Judy poster here who seems to get triggered on every domestic violence question for some reason.

Your case will be handled by crown prosecutor. The charges are laid based on your statement. Domestic violence cases cannot be dropped. It is upto to the crown prosecutor to drop the charges or the judge if it gets to the trial. What you can do is not to fan the fire anymore by not cooperating with the prosecutor for further proceedings of the case.

Your boyfriend should get a defence lawyer and they should work with prosecutor to lower down and strike off charges undergo counselling, anger management, conditional discharge etc. This will cost you time and money and further issues down the road for your boyfriend for job opportunities, immigration etc with a criminal records or a non conviction record.

Police and court are not your friends. Think twice when calling cops for a small domestic fight which can be resolved with love and understanding rather than getting police involved. If your life is in danger by all means call the cops, but not silly fights.
You're a special kind of troll, you rascal

tegh04

Oct 26, 2022
Hello can you please tell me that i also called 911 .. bt now i got my pr invitation.. what should we do

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello can you please tell me that i also called 911 .. bt now i got my pr invitation.. what should we do
PR invitation doesn't change the fact that your partner is potentially abusive. Encouraging people to put themselves in the way of future harm or abuse is not a good advice.

Marilou19861

Jan 16, 2024
Hi sir, may I know who was your lawyer? How to find the best lawyer? I was also mistakenly accused my husband and he is in no contact order now. Waiting for your reply. Thanks

Marilou19861

Jan 16, 2024
Hi sir,we are in similar situation.is your lawyer a private or legal aid?Can you recommend your lawyer pls? We are living now in nova scotia.hoping for your response.thank you

newlife_5241

Sep 21, 2019
I am also in similar situation. Wife lost temper and hit me, threw a bottle. I called non emergency line and no one picked so i called 911, worst decision of my life. I had recorded the altercation and police arrested her. I refused to hand over the video and wrote affidavit saying I did not expect that outcome and wanted her back. She has no contact for 5 months now. Im paying for her lawyer to get this cleared and get a peace bond. I am PR and she is on WP and PR is applied. So confused what to do.

Pepsi_cola_79

Nov 11, 2023
I am also in similar situation. Wife lost temper and hit me, threw a bottle. I called non emergency line and no one picked so i called 911, worst decision of my life. I had recorded the altercation and police arrested her. I refused to hand over the video and wrote affidavit saying I did not expect that outcome and wanted her back. She has no contact for 5 months now. Im paying for her lawyer to get this cleared and get a peace bond. I am PR and she is on WP and PR is applied. So confused what to do.
I was in the same situation my wife called 911 they charged me unlimited times, i packed by bags and came back to my home country Now My ex & crown can fuck each other with those charges.

Canada Is fucked country Canada judicial system is fucked,now crown can go fuck her self with those charges

just leave canada

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I was in the same situation my wife called 911 they charged me unlimited times, i packed by bags and came back to my home country Now My ex & crown can fuck each other with those charges.

Canada Is fucked country Canada judicial system is fucked,now crown can go fuck her self with those charges

just leave canada
bye bye

Shaunababy123

Feb 25, 2024
Hello , I’m have a situation with my boyfriend where I called the police on him after we got into an argument and I lied to the police and have them fake evidence and my boyfriend didn’t hit me I showed them an old video and they believe that it happened when it didn’t happened my boyfriend actually came to my rescue that day and was staying with me after I got into a fight With a girl and her boyfriend at the store. But I put the blame on my boyfriend how can I fix that with the police and the court , we are getting planning getting married and everything I having a baby on the way for him but I messed up really bad by calling the police

Mairaj

Dec 20, 2017
Hi I am the pr holder of Canada..since 2005 came to India coz of my dad health n got he passed away..i overstay in india.for 45 days I went to get the travel documents. To New Delhi Canadian embassy
. but denied.. i filed applied but again I benied.. it's almost 10 years now I been trying but no idea what to do.. and not getting right advice .. plz can u help me advice me..
Thanks
saahil

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I am the pr holder of Canada..since 2005 came to India coz of my dad health n got he passed away..i overstay in india.for 45 days I went to get the travel documents. To New Delhi Canadian embassy
. but denied.. i filed applied but again I benied.. it's almost 10 years now I been trying but no idea what to do.. and not getting right advice .. plz can u help me advice me..
Thanks
saahil
You have lost your PR status. If you want PR again, you will need to reapply from the start through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.

Reactions: foodie69 and YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks
saahil
Your PR status has long been revoked. Since PRTD was refused and appeal been denied.

So did you also get arrested and detained? If not, why did you post under this discussion? btw if you think you are still a PR, why did you try to apply for TRV.