+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have a work permit with LMIA - Can I apply to PR? How so?

aprado

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
I have a job offer from Canada, already went through the immigration process and got the work permit.

Can I re-use the LMIA to apply for permanent residency? Under which program should I do it? Anyone can give me a hand?

I start working next month in Canada in my temporary work permit.

Thanks

Reactions: Rahimi Najibullah

JWZR421

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
MVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
24-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront Meds
Passport Req..
09-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2016
aprado said:
I have a job offer from Canada, already went through the immigration process and got the work permit.

Can I re-use the LMIA to apply for permanent residency? Under which program should I do it? Anyone can give me a hand?

I start working next month in Canada in my temporary work permit.

Thanks
What is your NOC code? You can use your LMIA for Skilled Worker Category if you have more than 1 year experience of that NOC even if it's outside Canada.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Assuming your LMIA was for a skilled job i.e. NOC 0, A or B, you can choose one of the two possible routes to PR.

A) Apply for FSW program using this LMIA / work permit. The main requirement is to have one year of full time verifiable skilled experience at least in your same domain. But you will need to get your Educational credential assessment done along with language test.

B) Wait for a year and apply for CEC (after working on a skilled job in Canada for a year). You will not be required to do ECA then though language test is still mandatory and would have cut off scores depending upon NOC skill level (higher cut offs i.e. CLB 7 for NOC 0 or A but CLB 5 for NOC B).

Yet another option might be to get a provincial nomination. But that itself takes a while and it doesn't make sense for a person qualifying one of above WITH AN LMIA job to go after PNP.

Hope that helps.

aprado

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Thank you very much both of you,

One question I have, when reading both FSW and CEC looks like I need an offer from an employer in Canada, but I am already employed o_O, how would that work then? Do I need to change employer? And can I re-use my LMIA to give me points? Even tho I've already started working.

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
aprado said:
Thank you very much both of you,

One question I have, when reading both FSW and CEC looks like I need an offer from an employer in Canada, but I am already employed o_O, how would that work then? Do I need to change employer? And can I re-use my LMIA to give me points? Even tho I've already started working.

Thanks
You do not need a Canadian job offer for either FSW or CEC. FSW requires prior at least one year experience in the same profession and CEC requires one year of Canadian experience. You can be currently unemployed while filing a PR application in either of above.

But currently having an LMIA based job offer OR currently working a job on a valid work permit based upon LMIA gives you 600 additional points which makes getting ITA as simple as another draw. Ideally you should get a new job offer letter from your current employer stating things like full time permanent job offer once you have a PR status etc.

If they cant give you a new job offer, a reference letter confirming all of the above along with your original job offer should still work.

negative

Nov 2, 2015
I am in the same situation.
NOC A lmia supported Work permit.
So do you get this 600 points even if the lmia is outdated but work permit did not?
My lmia started from March and will end this month but my work permit is valid until July 2017. Can I get this 600 points?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
negative said:
I am in the same situation.
NOC A lmia supported Work permit.
So do you get this 600 points even if the lmia is outdated but work permit did not?
My lmia started from March and will end this month but my work permit is valid until July 2017. Can I get this 600 points?
LMIA expiry is not relevant if you are on a work permit based upon the same LMIA. I, along with at least 3-4 other friends had work permits based upon LMO (it existed before LMIAs in 2013) and we all are PRs now using the same 600 points.

Your WP is valid till July 2017. Any application you put before that, would get you additional 600

Ektapatel1103

Mar 21, 2020
Hello

i need help , i am working at the moment and I have a positive lmia , however my owner is reducing hours due to which i wont able to survive , my bills are stacking up , i want to stay home as i m concerned about the virus can hit me as i m in front line working with different customers every minute .
If i take creb now will it effect my lmia (hours) or my pr process in future ?? I am so confused what should i do ?? Please help me

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello

i need help , i am working at the moment and I have a positive lmia , however my owner is reducing hours due to which i wont able to survive , my bills are stacking up , i want to stay home as i m concerned about the virus can hit me as i m in front line working with different customers every minute .
If i take creb now will it effect my lmia (hours) or my pr process in future ?? I am so confused what should i do ?? Please help me
You don't qualify for CERB, as you are still working. Quitting will not qualify you. You need to actually lose your job due to COVID-19 to qualify.

Aj1988

Aug 20, 2019
Hi there,

I have a LMIA approved open work permit for Ontario, just waiting for things get back to normal and to start my new job there.
Just wanted your opinion on the ways of getting PR and through which stream it would be easier as my main goal is to get PR as soon as possible.
Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I have a LMIA approved open work permit for Ontario, just waiting for things get back to normal and to start my new job there.
Just wanted your opinion on the ways of getting PR and through which stream it would be easier as my main goal is to get PR as soon as possible.
Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks
Start by researching the Express Entry program and calculate how many points you have. This is a points based program and those with the most points are selected.

You should also research the Ontario PNP program as a possibility.

Sep 27, 2022
Hi, I have LMIA and currently working on Vancouver (B.C) for an employer from last 7 months. Can I apply for PR while working on LMIA? If yes what would be the process and how to follow for that? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Pavan.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Hi.

I'm on a PGWP and I've been working in a NOC B job in Ontario for 5 months now. I created my Express Entry profile and I have 458 points. I have the option to move to a closed work permit with the company I'm currently working for (LMIA exempt through an international agreement). I want to confirm if doing so would give me the additional 50 points for the "job offer" section.