+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have a job and can work anywhere - can I live in Canada?

sdawnsonc

May 9, 2015
I am an American currently living in the US and working for a US company. I want to move to Toronto with my Canadian boyfriend. I could do my job from anywhere, but I am struggling to determine how to legitimately live in Toronto and work for my current employer. Do I just apply for temp or permanent residency? And can I go as a visitor while that process is in progress? I am currently planning to apply for Express Entry through Federal Skilled Worker. Also would welcome an opportunity to work for a Canadian employer -- I am exploring this option because I want to be able to move by September and it seems like using my current job could be the fastest option.

I'd appreciate any advice!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to "move" to Canada rather than just visit - then you will need to immigrate. You technically can't "live" in Canada as a visitor. If you are going to try to live in Canada as a visitor - be very careful what you say at the border when you enter Canada and don't pack like you're moving (or you could be refused entry - even banned for a year).

If you are going to be working in Canada for your US employer - make sure that none of the work you are doing is for Canadian customers or companies. If any is, then you will need a work permit to work for your US employer from Canada.

sdawnsonc

May 9, 2015
Thanks! Can you elaborate on things to say/not say when entering at the border? I will have an Express Entry profile open so I would think I should be transparent about the fact that I want to live and work in Canada, but make clear that the purpose of this particular entry is to visit my boyfriend (since he will be living there by July) and get to know the city when I enter at the border as a visitor? Would it be okay to say I intend to meet with prospective employers while there? For informational interviews, etc.