+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I had a lot of gap on my post graduate work permit. Will my PR be rejected because of this?

the.eagle2121

Nov 5, 2017
Hello guys,

So this is my first post and I know it's probably not a good one but I would really appreciate it if someone can comment on my situation. So basically I was given a post graduate work permit from 2011-2014 and I was basically unemployed in Canada for 2 years. I know that it sounds ridiculous and to a large extent it is and there is no excuses for it.

After completing my Diploma, I got the three years work permit and didn't find a job related to my studies. I worked on and off for a month and then got into serious depression about not finding a job in Canada relating to my field of studies. Therefore, I was unemployed on my post graduate work permit for a long time (around 25 months). During that time, I received financial support from my family. (which was the most embarrassing period of my life)

Fast forward, I decided to man-up, went back to India, completed my Bachelors and also completed a French course up to the level B2 which will ensure that I will get additional points. I've also find a job as an administrative assistant and my employer is ready to write me a letter to support my PR application.

Now the main question is that as I was unemployed during that time, will CIC reject my application? Will my file be stuck in background check for multiple years? (I've heard many horror stories on it). I know I should've been at least working during my time in Canada but depression is a very strange thing and many people have a hard time understanding it. But that being said, the situation is very different now.

How much difficulties will I have to face because of my unemployment in Canada as it would look extremely odd for visa officers. Do note- I don't have any criminal records or anything adverse like that.

Your valuable opinions are welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance.

jenkinson

Star Member
Jan 15, 2017
Hey.

My humble opinion, as long as you accumulate the work experience you need, you should be fine. CIC will not recruit you so your period of unemployment shouldn't be an issue as far as your eligibility is concerned.

Having said that, they will want to know about how you kept yourself busy for the last 10 years. You can address this in the personal history section. Declare legitimately what you were doing during those periods (travelling, career planning, job search, preparation for college, taking language courses, taking a vacation, social & voluntary work, taking care of a close one etc etc).

I had a 9 month unemployment period on my PGWP which I described in my PR application as "job search/career planning", it didn't raise any flags whatsoever. After all, it's not against the law not being able to find a job that meets the standard you set for yourself, right?

Good luck.

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
This isn’t an issue - as long as your status was valid all through that period (valid visa etc) they won’t care.

Don’t worry about it.

the.eagle2121

Nov 5, 2017
Hey.

My humble opinion, as long as you accumulate the work experience you need, you should be fine. CIC will not recruit you so your period of unemployment shouldn't be an issue as far as your eligibility is concerned.

Having said that, they will want to know about how you kept yourself busy for the last 10 years. You can address this in the personal history section. Declare legitimately what you were doing during those periods (travelling, career planning, job search, preparation for college, taking language courses, taking a vacation, social & voluntary work, taking care of a close one etc etc).

I had a 9 month unemployment period on my PGWP which I described in my PR application as "job search/career planning", it didn't raise any flags whatsoever. After all, it's not against the law not being able to find a job that meets the standard you set for yourself, right?

Good luck.
Thanks guys! The only thing I was worried about is my file getting stuck in background check, I know that for some applicants background checks take a lot of time and certain factors contribute to it.

bonhomie08

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hyderabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
8 (L9 - R8.5 - S7.5 - W7)
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
08-12-2014
As long as you meet the criteria for PR and have the required number of points, it should not matter one bit whether you worked or not worked during your PGWP. I know a couple who have had multiple work permits but never even bothered to apply for a job in Canada, because they were already running some businesses in their home country.

vancityuser

May 19, 2023
This isn’t an issue - as long as your status was valid all through that period (valid visa etc) they won’t care.

Don’t worry about it.
I know this is a really old thread but I couldn't find anything else that was relevant to my situation. My PGWP is up for expiry later this year in Nov 2023, I have the chance to apply for an 18 month extension online and already received 2 emails from IRCC, one to confirm my eligibility to opt-in if i choose to do that (but i would lose 6 months if i did), and the other with an interim work authorization until May 2024.

I'm worried about filling in the current employment activity and employment history sections in the form for the PGWP extension because I'm currently not working and past gaps of employment.

I graduated with a distinction but I doubt they care about that. Any advice, tips? I am really nervous. I can do the opt-in until 20th May or apply regularly after.

Thanks in advance :)

vancityuser

May 19, 2023
Hello guys,

So this is my first post and I know it's probably not a good one but I would really appreciate it if someone can comment on my situation. So basically I was given a post graduate work permit from 2011-2014 and I was basically unemployed in Canada for 2 years. I know that it sounds ridiculous and to a large extent it is and there is no excuses for it.

After completing my Diploma, I got the three years work permit and didn't find a job related to my studies. I worked on and off for a month and then got into serious depression about not finding a job in Canada relating to my field of studies. Therefore, I was unemployed on my post graduate work permit for a long time (around 25 months). During that time, I received financial support from my family. (which was the most embarrassing period of my life)

Fast forward, I decided to man-up, went back to India, completed my Bachelors and also completed a French course up to the level B2 which will ensure that I will get additional points. I've also find a job as an administrative assistant and my employer is ready to write me a letter to support my PR application.

Now the main question is that as I was unemployed during that time, will CIC reject my application? Will my file be stuck in background check for multiple years? (I've heard many horror stories on it). I know I should've been at least working during my time in Canada but depression is a very strange thing and many people have a hard time understanding it. But that being said, the situation is very different now.

How much difficulties will I have to face because of my unemployment in Canada as it would look extremely odd for visa officers. Do note- I don't have any criminal records or anything adverse like that.

Your valuable opinions are welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance.
I hope everything worked out well for you and that you're now in a better place than you were.

Just wondering - Did you end up getting your PR? Any issues with the gaps in employment? :)