+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got my visa approved and stamped on my passport for Feb 2021 program but I now want to defer my studies to Fall Term 2021

simma1002

Jan 27, 2021
Hello Friends,

I am from India and I got my visa approved for winter term (Feb 2021 Intake) but I want to defer my studies to the next term i.e. Fall 2021 due to Covid-19 travel restrictions and complications. I don't intend to change the DLI or change the program within the same DLI but I simply want to postpone my studies in the same program to the next term i.e. Aug 2021. The correspondence letter (visa approval letter) from IRCC states that I can enter Canada anytime before the expiry of my visa i.e. Sep 2022. Should I inform IRCC about my deferral? Since my student visa is valid till Sep 2022, can I simply defer my program, get a revised letter of acceptance from the university and travel to Canada in Aug 2021?

I look forward to getting some response that clarified my question on deferral after visa approval and notifying IRCC about the same. Thank You!

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Hello Friends,

I am from India and I got my visa approved for winter term (Feb 2021 Intake) but I want to defer my studies to the next term i.e. Fall 2021 due to Covid-19 travel restrictions and complications. I don't intend to change the DLI or change the program within the same DLI but I simply want to postpone my studies in the same program to the next term i.e. Aug 2021. The correspondence letter (visa approval letter) from IRCC states that I can enter Canada anytime before the expiry of my visa i.e. Sep 2022. Should I inform IRCC about my deferral? Since my student visa is valid till Sep 2022, can I simply defer my program, get a revised letter of acceptance from the university and travel to Canada in Aug 2021?

I look forward to getting some response that clarified my question on deferral after visa approval and notifying IRCC about the same. Thank You!
But there are no new restrictions right now? Not sure why you want to defer. If you're worried about the "lockdowns" in Ontario and other provinces, let me tell you that the lockdowns in Canada are a joke compared to what you saw in India last year. Kind of weird to defer because of this reason, to be honest.

Reactions: slambook30

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
But there are no new restrictions right now? Not sure why you want to defer. If you're worried about the "lockdowns" in Ontario and other provinces, let me tell you that the lockdowns in Canada are a joke compared to what you saw in India last year. Kind of weird to defer because of this reason, to be honest.
The January semester likely already begun. This is why deferring is a good idea. By the time one gets through quarantine, almost 2 months will be lost.

Reactions: Ppun

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Hello Friends,

Quarantine rules are getting stricter suggest you to enter Canada before April.

cilin

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
So does he need to inform IRCC if he defer? no one answer. Also want to know this.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
The January semester likely already begun. This is why deferring is a good idea. By the time one gets through quarantine, almost 2 months will be lost.
Depends on his course. If it's a masters program then deferring might be a good idea. Same if it's a 1 year certificate/grad certificate. But for a diploma? Losing a month isn't a huge deal to be honest. Jan session only started 1-2 weeks ago depending on the college. He's better off asking the international admissions staff on phone about how much they've covered so far and making an informed decision accordingly. Personally if I was in his shoes I would've been on the first flight to Canada as soon as I got the visa.

Quarantine rules are getting stricter suggest you to enter Canada before April.
Exactly. It'll only get stricter as the year progresses.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7594233/trudeau-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-covid-ca/

Reactions: j8naid and Ironclad

simma1002

Jan 27, 2021
Thank you all for your valuable comments and thoughts. Little more on my profile..... The program I have been accepted into is a 16 month PG Diploma program that starts in Feb 2021. So, I still have time to make travel and quarantine arrangements. Still I want to defer so I can avoid this complications of quarantine and plan for a much better and peaceful travel sometime in Aug 2021

My actual question remains unanswered which is - Should I inform IRCC about my deferral to the next term? Please revert..

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
Thank you all for your valuable comments and thoughts. Little more on my profile..... The program I have been accepted into is a 16 month PG Diploma program that starts in Feb 2021. So, I still have time to make travel and quarantine arrangements. Still I want to defer so I can avoid this complications of quarantine and plan for a much better and peaceful travel sometime in Aug 2021

My actual question remains unanswered which is - Should I inform IRCC about my deferral to the next term? Please revert..
There's usually a time limit for when you must enter Canada when issued a visa. You need to come in by that time. Make a phone call to IRCC Call Center to ask about delaying entry. You shouldn't just send them information via webform.

anmolwadera

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
There's usually a time limit for when you must enter Canada when issued a visa. You need to come in by that time. Make a phone call to IRCC Call Center to ask about delaying entry. You shouldn't just send them information via webform.
Huh Is that so? But the LOI states that "You must seek entry to Canada to obtain your study permit before the dd/mm/yyy (expiry date)". Isn't the time limit thing contradictory to this?

Kobby84

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020

You can defer but you will need to send the new LOA to IRCC through web form