+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got fired after 10 months. Can I get Health Card now?

Omunar

Sep 29, 2021
Hello friends,

I had been working for 10 months in construction industry on Post Graduate Work Permit. So, in the website, it says that I can get health card after I work full time for 6 months which I worked longer than that, I meet all the requirements to get the card but there is a problem which I don't know if it's the game changer. I got fired after 10 months and I have the paper my ex-company gave me that confirms that I had been working for the company for the last 10 months.

So, since today is Saturday and I can not go to Service Ontario and ask them, do you think that I can get health card even I am fired from the my job?

Thanks for all the replies,
I wish you an excellent day.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello friends,

I had been working for 10 months in construction industry on Post Graduate Work Permit. So, in the website, it says that I can get health card after I work full time for 6 months which I worked longer than that, I meet all the requirements to get the card but there is a problem which I don't know if it's the game changer. I got fired after 10 months and I have the paper my ex-company gave me that confirms that I had been working for the company for the last 10 months.

So, since today is Saturday and I can not go to Service Ontario and ask them, do you think that I can get health card even I am fired from the my job?

Thanks for all the replies,
I wish you an excellent day.
The short answer is no.

You've misunderstood the rules. You could have applied for OHIP 10 months ago. However now you won't be able to apply until you find a new employer.

To qualify for OHIP, you must be currently working in a job that will continue to employ you for at least six months. You don't have to complete six months of work before you apply - you just need to have a job that will be at least six months long.

However you do need to be currently employed. So you'll need to wait until you have a new job before you can apply for OHIP.

Omunar

Sep 29, 2021
So I will get a job then I will get a paper as an evidence. Then I will apply for OHIP and I will immediately have health card because work will last at least 6 months. That's what I understood. Is it correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So I will get a job then I will get a paper as an evidence. Then I will apply for OHIP and I will immediately have health card because work will last at least 6 months. That's what I understood. Is it correct?
Once you get a new job, you will need to get an employment letter from your new employer. That letter should either say that your job is permanent or if it's a contract, the contract should be at least six months long. Then you can immediately apply for OHIP.

racslette

Jun 8, 2023
Ukraine
Category........
STUDY
Once you get a new job, you will need to get an employment letter from your new employer. That letter should either say that your job is permanent or if it's a contract, the contract should be at least six months long. Then you can immediately apply for OHIP.
Secure an employment letter stating permanent job or a 6+ month contract to apply for OHIP after starting a new job. Essential for healthcare coverage.