+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got a new police certificate anyway? Did I need to?

gaznev2019

Mar 9, 2019
Hi submitting my citizenship form today. Providing a new police certificate aswell.
Question I have is that I don't think I Needed one?
my out of Canada dates are
2015-04-20 2015-10-14 176.0 Days in uk
2017-12-21 2018-04-10 109 Days in Uk

even though i wasn;t out of Canada for 189 days at any time (in a row). But adding the rows together its more than 189 so did I need a police certificate?
If not shall I it submit anyway- Will it get sent back (do more harm than good)?

Last edited:

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi submitting my citizenship form today. Providing a new police certificate aswell.
Question I have is that I don't think I Needed one?
my out of Canada dates are
2015-04-20 2015-10-14 176.0 Days in Germany
2017-12-21 2018-04-10 109 Days in Germany

even though i wasn;t out of Canada for 189 days at any time (in a row). But adding the rows together its more than 189 so did I need a police certificate?
If not shall I it submit anyway- Will it get sent back (do more harm than good)?
It's 183 days, and yes you need it as both dates are within the last four years.

"10b In the past four (4) years, were you in another country or territory (other than Canada) for a total of 183 days or more?"

I'd also say with just one sheet it's better to provide than not, for example I sent my degree stuff as well as CELPIP to prove I could speak English (granted I only got an AoR so far). Providing say all your passport pages (unless asked for later) could upset them as for some that's a lot of paper.

gaznev2019

Mar 9, 2019
Yes, I was using this an example of what not to do. You should just provide what’s needed, so for passport just the bio pages to start with.
thank you!

One last question - in the addresses section can i put the world PRESENT to indicate present address? Or today's date (as my current residing address).
Bit hesitant to put in characters if its asking for digits?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
thank you!

One last question - in the addresses section can i put the world PRESENT to indicate present address? Or today's date (as my current residing address).
Bit hesitant to put in characters if its asking for digits?
Well in my form it says PRESENT and I can't change it. That's the reason I listed dates from most recent (top) to oldest (bottom) otherwise I'd have done them in the opposite order.

Are you using the latest form? It was 12-2018 on mine but there may now be a newer copy.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
in the addresses section can i put the world PRESENT to indicate present address? Or today's date (as my current residing address)
As @jc94 urged, be sure to use the CURRENT version of the application.

In the current version, which is CIT 0002 (01-2019), item 10.a) (address history) already has "PRESENT" in the "To" column first row.

Item 10.b) in the current version is particularly different than previous versions . . . leading to . . .

It's 183 days, and yes you need it as both dates are within the last four years.

"10b In the past four (4) years, were you in another country or territory (other than Canada) for a total of 183 days or more?"
Are you using the latest form? It was 12-2018 on mine but there may now be a newer copy.
There is a NEW version of the application. CIT 0002 (01-2019).

Moreover, in the new version item 10.b) NOW states:
In the past four (4) years, were you in a country other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

So a Police Clearance is NO LONGER required (with the application) based on total days over the course of the four relevant years.

That said, a reminder: IRCC can nonetheless request a police certificate later in the process.

REGARDING COMING CLOSE (such as here, 176 consecutive days, barely a week short of the 183 threshold for when it is necessary to include police certificate WITH the application):

Generally it is best to simply follow the instructions. As I oft say: "When in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions."

Following the instructions, 176 days is NOT 183 or more days "in a row," and so the proper response is checking the "No" box. The further instruction and chart is only for applicants who respond checking the "Yes" box.

Similarly, the checklist instruction regarding original police certificates or clearances refers to applicants who were in another country 183 or more days "in a row." Since this does not apply, there is no reason to check this box or include the police certificate.

Thus, even if the applicant was in another country for 176 days in a row, following the instructions means checking "No" for item 10.b) and NOT including a police certificate. And, again, generally it is BEST to follow the instructions.

There is rarely a good reason for providing information or documents that are not requested.

That said, if I had been in a country almost 183 days in a row, personally I MIGHT (just "might," after thinking it over in detail) choose to nonetheless check the police certificate item in the checklist and include the police certificate. DEPENDING on additional facts and circumstances. For example, if my presence in that country was briefly interrupted by a trip outside it, and but for that break in presence there the total would be over six months, I might include the police clearance. If, for another example, I had maintained a place of residence there, or was employed there, and the total added up to well over 183 days, I might submit the police clearance. BUT mostly, again PERSONALLY (these decisions are ultimately personal and thus for each individual to decide for himself or herself) I would FOLLOW the instructions.

Reactions: jc94

gaznev2019

Mar 9, 2019
Sigh* I mailed it yesterday with the police certificate and clicking yes. Will this now cause more harm than good? :(

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Sigh* I mailed it yesterday with the police certificate and clicking yes. Will this now cause more harm than good? :(
I would say unlikely. But it depends partly on which version of the form you used. Either form is valid, you can use any fairly recent form (I can't recall which but 2018-12/2019-01 are both valid)...

What version is listed on the bottom of your application?

gaznev2019

Mar 9, 2019
I would say unlikely. But it depends partly on which version of the form you used. Either form is valid, you can use any fairly recent form (I can't recall which but 2018-12/2019-01 are both valid)...

What version is listed on the bottom of your application?
Latest :(