+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I forgot my SIN number expired...

wherethestorystarts

Star Member
Feb 11, 2020
I received PR not long ago.
I just realized my SIN number(It starts with 9) expired like three months ago.

I applied the new one right away, but I'm wondering if this will gonna cause a problem.

Cause it means I have been working three months without SIN number.
Company haven't asked me anything yet...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I received PR not long ago.
I just realized my SIN number(It starts with 9) expired like three months ago.

I applied the new one right away, but I'm wondering if this will gonna cause a problem.

Cause it means I have been working three months without SIN number.
Company haven't asked me anything yet...
1. I assume you informed Service Canada that you are now a PR and sent a copy of your COPR or PR Card.
2. A new SIN will be issued, "9" are for non PR/Citizens.
3. When received, just inform your employer of the new number.

Reactions: wherethestorystarts

Yaashna

Sep 1, 2023
Did it cause a problem? Can you tell me if the issue is sorted now please I am in the same situation

sean468

Mar 10, 2022
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
28-11-2022
Nomination.....
23-11-2022
AOR Received.
28-11-2022
Med's Request
17-05-2023
Med's Done....
17-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2023
LANDED..........
22-06-2023
Did it cause a problem? Can you tell me if the issue is sorted now please I am in the same situation
You need to update Service Canada with the new expiry date of your current work permit.

Social Insurance Number: Receiving and updating your SIN - Canada.ca

Your temporary SIN expires on the date provided in your immigration documents. You must ensure that both expiry dates match.

If you have applied for renewal of a work or study permit, and your permit expires before a decision is made, you have the right* to continue working or studying under the same conditions. You must remain in Canada during this time. This "maintained status" (previously called implied status) will remain until a decision is made by IRCC. This means you are allowed to work even though your SIN has expired. For more information about maintained status during processing, contact IRCC.

* As per paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Once IRCC authorizes you to continue working in Canada, you must apply to Service Canada with your new immigration document to update the expiry date on your SIN record. The expiry date on both your SIN record and your immigration document must match.