+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I don't understand the immigration process for international graduates..

Ben31

Mar 19, 2012
I want to study in Nova Scotia and become PR after graduation, if I get a 2 years diploma from NSCC and then a post graduate visa, how long does it take before I can apply for a PR status? do I have to get a job? does it have to be related to my major? does it have to be NOC 0, A or B?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ben31 said:
I want to study in Nova Scotia and become PR after graduation, if I get a 2 years diploma from NSCC and then a post graduate visa, how long does it take before I can apply for a PR status? do I have to get a job? does it have to be related to my major? does it have to be NOC 0, A or B?

Thanks.
1. Assuming NSCC is Nova Scotia Community College. You would have to complete 2 years for the diploma and then work for 1 year in a skilled job in NOC A, B or O. then you could apply for PR. It doesn't have to be related to your studies.

tiger007

Champion Member
Ben31 said:

Thanks.
Hi,

The Nova Scotia PNP is one of the most attractive PNPs in place for international graduate students.

According to: http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/immigrants/immigrating-to-ns/international-graduate

The international graduate must have a full-time, permanent job offer, preferably related to their field of study from a Nova Scotia employer and be working for that employer for at least three consecutive months before submitting an application to the Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP). Provincial priorities may change as skill shortages are met by permanent residents or Canadian citizens.
To be eligible to apply to the International Graduate stream, the graduate must have graduated within the last three year from a program of at least one academic year of full-time study in Canada and have received a certificate, diploma, or degree from a provincially-recognized institution in Canada. Applicants still in study are not eligible to this stream.

NOW, the tricky part is THEY HAVE NOT MENTIONED ANY NOC LEVEL CRITERIA, and 've mentioned ONLY a permanent full time job offer and doing it for 3 months, preferably in their field of study. This may lead to confusion, that this is open to ANY kind of full time permanent job. However, when you read the application guide in detail: http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/sites/default/files/NSNP_IG_ApplicationGuide.pdf , you'll see that even though they 've not mentioned any NOC level. there are indeed some restrictions on the TYPE of full time permanent job you can do. Here on page 7, under When not to apply it is clearly mentioned that THESE FOLLOWING JOBS ARE NOT VALID:
1. Seasonal, part-time, casual, or contractual workers.
2. Workers in occupations that consist primarily of training, internship and work placements.
3. Sales positions that are based solely on commission for compensation.
4. Entry level hospitality industry jobs (e.g., server, hotel clerk, receptionist) and other entry-level service sector jobs.
5. Helpers and labourers in construction, agriculture and resource industries.
6. Live-in-caregiver positions - These positions should be processed under federal Citizenship and Immigration Canada guidelines

So, apart from the following above jobs, you can do ANY other full time permanent job, preferably in the field of your study for 3 months and then apply for PNP. It's indeed confusing, because they 've not mentioned any NOC criteria. But from the above list..it's obvious..NOC D and NOC C level jobs in service sector is not valid (which are often the easiest to get).

Hope it helps.

Elaine83

Star Member
Jun 27, 2011
App. Filed.......
10-07-2011
IELTS Request
Band 7 IELTS
Med's Request
N/A
Interview........
01-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-08-2011
LANDED..........
31-08-2011
tiger007 said:
Hi,

The Nova Scotia PNP is one of the most attractive PNPs in place for international graduate students.

According to: http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/immigrants/immigrating-to-ns/international-graduate

The international graduate must have a full-time, permanent job offer, preferably related to their field of study from a Nova Scotia employer and be working for that employer for at least three consecutive months before submitting an application to the Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP). Provincial priorities may change as skill shortages are met by permanent residents or Canadian citizens.
To be eligible to apply to the International Graduate stream, the graduate must have graduated within the last three year from a program of at least one academic year of full-time study in Canada and have received a certificate, diploma, or degree from a provincially-recognized institution in Canada. Applicants still in study are not eligible to this stream.

NOW, the tricky part is THEY HAVE NOT MENTIONED ANY NOC LEVEL CRITERIA, and 've mentioned ONLY a permanent full time job offer and doing it for 3 months, preferably in their field of study. This may lead to confusion, that this is open to ANY kind of full time permanent job. However, when you read the application guide in detail: http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/sites/default/files/NSNP_IG_ApplicationGuide.pdf , you'll see that even though they 've not mentioned any NOC level. there are indeed some restrictions on the TYPE of full time permanent job you can do. Here on page 7, under When not to apply it is clearly mentioned that THESE FOLLOWING JOBS ARE NOT VALID:
1. Seasonal, part-time, casual, or contractual workers.
2. Workers in occupations that consist primarily of training, internship and work placements.
3. Sales positions that are based solely on commission for compensation.
4. Entry level hospitality industry jobs (e.g., server, hotel clerk, receptionist) and other entry-level service sector jobs.
5. Helpers and labourers in construction, agriculture and resource industries.
6. Live-in-caregiver positions - These positions should be processed under federal Citizenship and Immigration Canada guidelines

So, apart from the following above jobs, you can do ANY other full time permanent job, preferably in the field of your study for 3 months and then apply for PNP. It's indeed confusing, because they 've not mentioned any NOC criteria. But from the above list..it's obvious..NOC D and NOC C level jobs in service sector is not valid (which are often the easiest to get).

Hope it helps.
Hi Tiger,

I'm not sure if Nova Scotia changed their immig rules for intl students. Number 4 on your list is not on the link anymore (application guide). does this mean that entry level jobs are now accepted? so confusing...

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Ben31 said:

Thanks.
Under Nova Scotia PNP, you DO NOT need any NOC based job. Similar program exist under British Columbia Program. However, you need a permanent full time job.

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
After completing our graduation if we get a job our visa will be extended?? or If we apply for a job and our study permit is finishing how we will get the temporary resident visa???? we need to work for a year to apply for PR ???? Employer is responsible for your temp resident visa?? is it easy to get???? suppose if you get the job of ur criteria after completing graduation ur study permit is finish then how you will stay there??

Regards

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Nadeem_jee said:
After completing our graduation if we get a job our visa will be extended?? or If we apply for a job and our study permit is finishing how we will get the temporary resident visa???? we need to work for a year to apply for PR ???? Employer is responsible for your temp resident visa?? is it easy to get???? suppose if you get the job of ur criteria after completing graduation ur study permit is finish then how you will stay there??

Regards
To continue after PGWP expiry, your employer will have to apply for a "Labour Market Opinion" at HRSDC, Canada. If you have a positive one, you can apply for a regular work permit and thereby extend your stay in Canada.

sid04

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Tiger007

"Entry level hospitality industry jobs (e.g., server, hotel clerk, receptionist) and other entry-level service sector jobs."

Is this also applicable for all the students in other provinces as well.??

I am going for hospitality management in a college in Ontario....after two year course, chances are good that I might get into a hotel job..most probably a entry level one (like the few mentioned above)...does that mean I am not eligible for applying for PR ??

please reply

tiger007

Champion Member
Elaine83 said:
Hi Tiger,

I'm not sure if Nova Scotia changed their immig rules for intl students. Number 4 on your list is not on the link anymore (application guide). does this mean that entry level jobs are now accepted? so confusing...

Hi,

Nova Scotia PNP international students rules have changed recently (along with Sask. province). Earlier (as you can see from my above post) that... there was no clear indication of NOC level of job. But now it's clearly mentioned that skilled job of NOC level O,A or B is required. They MAY accept semi skilled job under NOC C level in selected cases, and will NOT accept unskilled jobs under NOC-D. Hence might be the reason they removed the point 4 of "Entry level hospitality industry jobs (e.g., server, hotel clerk, receptionist) and other entry-level service sector jobs."-- and so they did not find any reason to repeat it once again.

Now if u see the international students NS PNP pdf guide (http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/sites/default/files/NSNP_IG_ApplicationGuide.pdf), it is clearly mentioned on page 5, that full time Skilled jobs of NOC O,A,B is required.

tiger007

Champion Member
Jd5 said:
Hi,

Under Nova Scotia PNP, you DO NOT need any NOC based job. Similar program exist under British Columbia Program. However, you need a permanent full time job.
Hi,

That was old rule. The current Nova Scotia PNP has made some changes, under which a full time skilled job of NOC level O,A or B is required. Check: http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/sites/default/files/NSNP_IG_ApplicationGuide.pdf (page 5)

tiger007

Champion Member
sid04 said:
Hi Tiger007

"Entry level hospitality industry jobs (e.g., server, hotel clerk, receptionist) and other entry-level service sector jobs."

Is this also applicable for all the students in other provinces as well.??

I am going for hospitality management in a college in Ontario....after two year course, chances are good that I might get into a hotel job..most probably a entry level one (like the few mentioned above)...does that mean I am not eligible for applying for PR ??

please reply
Hi,

As per latest Nova Scotia International students PNP, this --""Entry level hospitality industry jobs (e.g., server, hotel clerk, receptionist) and other entry-level service sector jobs."" has been removed from the lists of jobs not to be considered (page-8, in earlier pdf document it was mentioned on page 7). They have removed it because... NOW THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY NOC-D LEVEL UNSKILLED JOB..BE IT IN SERVICE SECTOR OR NOT.

Whatever rules it is mentioned...applies to all the students..studying in any province.

After your course, if you get an unskilled job (NOC D) you will not be eligible to apply under Nova Scotia PNP international student category. If you get an NOC -C semi-skilled job..you may or may not be eligible to apply as determined by them. It's best you try to bag any skilled job (NOC-O,A, or B).

sid04

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Tiger,

I am a bit dissapointed, although mine is a hotel management course, assume its not easy to get a managerial job so easily , atleats in the first two years of completion of the study..especially if you're coming from outside Canada.
:(
Thus is it possible for you to tell me what are the jobs listed in the category NOC o,a and b ?? or just the hospitality jobs in that category ?? it ould be really helpful man.

tiger007

Champion Member
sid04 said:
Thanks Tiger,

I am a bit dissapointed, although mine is a hotel management course, assume its not easy to get a managerial job so easily , atleats in the first two years of completion of the study..especially if you're coming from outside Canada.
:(
Thus is it possible for you to tell me what are the jobs listed in the category NOC o,a and b ?? or just the hospitality jobs in that category ?? it ould be really helpful man.
Hi,

To get more detailed idea about NOC ..see the NOC MATRIX, provided by the Canadian govt.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/pdf/Matrix.pdf

Elaine83

Star Member
Jun 27, 2011
App. Filed.......
10-07-2011
IELTS Request
Band 7 IELTS
Med's Request
N/A
Interview........
01-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-08-2011
LANDED..........
31-08-2011
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Nova Scotia PNP international students rules have changed recently (along with Sask. province). Earlier (as you can see from my above post) that... there was no clear indication of NOC level of job. But now it's clearly mentioned that skilled job of NOC level O,A or B is required. They MAY accept semi skilled job under NOC C level in selected cases, and will NOT accept unskilled jobs under NOC-D. Hence might be the reason they removed the point 4 of "Entry level hospitality industry jobs (e.g., server, hotel clerk, receptionist) and other entry-level service sector jobs."-- and so they did not find any reason to repeat it once again.

Now if u see the international students NS PNP pdf guide (http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/sites/default/files/NSNP_IG_ApplicationGuide.pdf), it is clearly mentioned on page 5, that full time Skilled jobs of NOC O,A,B is required.
Thanks tiger! page 5 says "preferably NOC O, A & B" so it means not really a must. and yes they may or may not take NOC C jobs. Made me worry since most of the jobs that I'm applying for these days in Halifax are under NOC C.

sid04

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^^^ thats the main problem..internatrional students do not usually get the NOC O or A jobs initially..the chances are better if you have some experience in the same field...and then later on may be yiou can get promoted to a supervisory or managerial post, which comes under A , O and B category.