+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I did not work or study during the 1101 days in 5y I stayed in Canada as a PR, is it going to be impossible to prove required residency ?

SuperMongoose

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
I used savings, investments to sustain a sabbatical and a period of self teaching and a attempts at a failed web business, and was basically depressed during covid.
I only have credit card statements, one car insurance policy contract, amazon purchase history (very likely pathetic to list this), and could probably get a hand written note from landlord.

I filed for taxes the 3 years I lived there. My passport stamps of course match entered residency dates.

Do you think residency proof will be problematic ?

Thanks

Apurv

Feb 23, 2014
Toronto
Category........
CEC
IELTS Request
Qualified
I used savings, investments to sustain a sabbatical and a period of self teaching and a attempts at a failed web business, and was basically depressed during covid.
I only have credit card statements, one car insurance policy contract, amazon purchase history (very likely pathetic to list this), and could probably get a hand written note from landlord.

I filed for taxes the 3 years I lived there. My passport stamps of course match entered residency dates.

Thanks
Please seek legal help before you proceed.

Reactions: SuperMongoose

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other

Thanks
you could think of things like doctor visits (records), and if you have kids then a standard letter the school gives.

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
I would suggest using a consultant, but when I brought up a similar concern to mine (I have been on maternity leave/stay at home parent for a portion of my 5 years with work in between) he said it wouldn’t be much of a concern with minimal travel history. I would get a signed affidavit from your landlord as well as a copy of your lease, past car registration slips with your name/address, your auto insurance policy, license, phone bills, internet bills, bank statements with your address, anything that would prove you regularly live in Canada. Do you donate blood? Volunteer? Part of an organization like YMCA or a religious congregation? Anywhere that may have record of you being there somewhat regularly.

In your situation it might be recommended to wait, but if you can gather documents to prove your history it may be worth talking to someone.

Reactions: Acorn450 and YVR123

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks
Did you file taxes during the time you spent as a PR ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thanks
I actually don't think this is an issue. If you are worry, just attach a letter of explaination to it.
You can state the period that you tried to start your web businness and how long did you attempt for it.
As long as your travel history matches with your passport stamps and have enough days inside, I don't think that's really an issue.

Acorn450

Star Member
Jun 1, 2022
I would get a signed affidavit from your landlord as well as a copy of your lease, past car registration slips with your name/address, your auto insurance policy, license, phone bills, internet bills, bank statements with your address, anything that would prove you regularly live in Canada. Do you donate blood? Volunteer? Part of an organization like YMCA or a religious congregation? Anywhere that may have record of you being there somewhat regularly.
/QUOTE]

I think this is really useful advice from AmericanWife. I was a PR for a long time before applying for citizenship, and I was a stay at home parent for all of that time.

I had an interview with IRCC and the agent ended up asking me to fill out the CIT 520E form, which is the abridged version of the residency questionnaire. They wanted the kind of information AmericanWife is referring to. If you have credit card statements, highlight purchases made at stores in your neighborhood, especially for things like groceries.

They accepted my documentation, and I got my citizenship this past December. It was some extra effort, but my application was only delayed by a few months in the end. I wish I had been gathering that info in advance though- it would have saved a lot of rushing around.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022

Thanks
I personally do not see any issues here but I will suggest a conversation with RCIC.
You will be surprised at how many traces you leave.

Did you fill gas? You will have an entry on your credit card statement for that.
Did you travel domestically? Entry there.
Dr Visit? Entry there.
Took prescription drugs?
Got vaccine? Entry there.

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
I would get a signed affidavit from your landlord as well as a copy of your lease, past car registration slips with your name/address, your auto insurance policy, license, phone bills, internet bills, bank statements with your address, anything that would prove you regularly live in Canada. Do you donate blood? Volunteer? Part of an organization like YMCA or a religious congregation? Anywhere that may have record of you being there somewhat regularly.
/QUOTE]

I think this is really useful advice from AmericanWife. I was a PR for a long time before applying for citizenship, and I was a stay at home parent for all of that time.

I had an interview with IRCC and the agent ended up asking me to fill out the CIT 520E form, which is the abridged version of the residency questionnaire. They wanted the kind of information AmericanWife is referring to. If you have credit card statements, highlight purchases made at stores in your neighborhood, especially for things like groceries.

They accepted my documentation, and I got my citizenship this past December. It was some extra effort, but my application was only delayed by a few months in the end. I wish I had been gathering that info in advance though- it would have saved a lot of rushing around.

I am very much hoping my representative is right in saying it shouldn’t cause a problem. I have worked for some months here and there in the 5 years, but I have been on Mat leave/at home mom for a lot of time in between. I have all the information should they ask me to do RQ, but that doesn’t mean I want the hassle and anxiety!

Reactions: SuperMongoose