+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I can't Find a Job and It's been a year

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019
IMO you should be looking for any NOC A, B or 0 job and not limiting yourself just to this field. Your search is too narrow.

Sounds like you still have 2 years left on your PGWP - so that's certainly good news.
the thing is I am clueless on what jobs to look for * i did see the link provided by 21Goose thanks btw " but most of the jobs require a certificate or something i do not thing anyone will accept me based on my education. I do have restaurant assistant manager experience during my study permit periods. but i am not really sure what to do

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019
Since you recently graduated I can recommend the ADaPT program of Ryerson University:
https://www.ryerson.ca/adapt/

That is a program for recent or soon-to-be graduates with a lot of workshops focused on networking, resume writing, interview preparation and actual practical skills (working with InDesign, Photoshop, Google Analytics, Webdesign, R etc.). They provide networking opportunities with employers and they try to place you in internships.
It is free of charge and you don't need to be a Ryerson graduate. They do, however, have an interview process since the spots are limited.

I arrived in Canada last year with a work & holiday visa waiting for my PR and it helped me a lot to get used to the Canadian environment and how to adapt. I found a job without their help, nevertheless I think it is a good point to start off.

They do multiple rounds of this program over the year. I don't know when the next one is starting, though.

Other than that I can agree with the others. Pure LinkedIn networking is useless, its better to go to meetups, conferences and whatnot and have smalltalk with people. The more people you know, the better the chances are something might come around.
I can afford spending more time learning other courses tbh. how long was the course was it a year or something ? cause my time is really limited

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
it is frustrating and at the moment i do regret the choice of career i made. and it is kinda unfair the way they treat none PR / Citizenship holders.
No point railing at the unfairness of it. Of course a country will want to take care of its citizens (and PR are almost citizens) first, that's the whole point of a country.

In regards of that, i have relatives that own a small restaurant in Canada. if they hired me as a super-visor or a manager of their restaurant * while not actually managing but as a title " would that qualify me for a PR ? or does the restaurant has to be well known and with big reputation etc... ???
It doesn't need to be a big restaurant, but you need to really do the job. IRCC will definitely be suspicious if your uncle gives you a job and will investigate to make sure you got the job in a fair manner and you are actually performing all the duties listed. You can't fake your way through the process - well, you can try, but if you get caught (at any stage, even years later), you can be deported and banned from Canada for life.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
the thing is I am clueless on what jobs to look for * i did see the link provided by 21Goose thanks btw " but most of the jobs require a certificate or something i do not thing anyone will accept me based on my education. I do have restaurant assistant manager experience during my study permit periods. but i am not really sure what to do
If you are unable to find a job at all, you may have to go back to your home country and work there. You can always apply for PR under FSW in a year or two. Since you have Canadian education you will get a lot of points and should be able to qualify.

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019
No point railing at the unfairness of it. Of course a country will want to take care of its citizens (and PR are almost citizens) first, that's the whole point of a country.

It doesn't need to be a big restaurant, but you need to really do the job. IRCC will definitely be suspicious if your uncle gives you a job and will investigate to make sure you got the job in a fair manner and you are actually performing all the duties listed. You can't fake your way through the process - well, you can try, but if you get caught (at any stage, even years later), you can be deported and banned from Canada for life.
what if i did perform the duties required during that. it wont be a problem ? in addition, how can i prove to the officers that i did do my duties.
also, does that mean that working with family business won't be a problem ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
what if i did perform the duties required during that. it wont be a problem ? in addition, how can i prove to the officers that i did do my duties.
also, does that mean that working with family business won't be a problem ?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

You will prove your duties by providing documentation that includes your job offer letter, your paystubs, your T4, your Notice of Assessment, a letter from your employer etc. You can work for a small family business but naturally can expect your application to be more carefully scrutinized. If you're working for your own family the presumption is that you only got the job to get the PR (which is pretty much the case here), and you will have to prove that the job is genuine and that you actually performed the duties.

It's not illegal to work for your family as long as you're actually doing the job and you were qualified to do it. Part of this will be how much you get paid, and whether the business is correctly reporting your pay and employment to the CRA.

Reactions: Tusubasa

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

You will prove your duties by providing documentation that includes your job offer letter, your paystubs, your T4, your Notice of Assessment, a letter from your employer etc. You can work for a small family business but naturally can expect your application to be more carefully scrutinized. If you're working for your own family the presumption is that you only got the job to get the PR (which is pretty much the case here), and you will have to prove that the job is genuine and that you actually performed the duties.

It's not illegal to work for your family as long as you're actually doing the job and you were qualified to do it. Part of this will be how much you get paid, and whether the business is correctly reporting your pay and employment to the CRA.
how about opening a business of my own ?

also, does the work " LINE COOK" fall under the " cooks " category ?