+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I become Canadian citizen, but contact from election Canada

Hamid khan

Champion Member
Apr 29, 2013
Hi I am already Canadian citizen
Very happy to for that

But I have a question it is almost 3 months gone but I haven’t received MP congratulations letter and I didn’t get any letter from election Canada

Please note in in form I tick both box to register my name in voter list as well as to receive MP congratulations letter

Now my question is what can I do for that

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Surely you can live without any MP congratulation letter and be pleased when you get your Canadian passport which is far more useful than some letter.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I never got mine either. I guess some MP offices don't bother.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I also received no letter, nor was I registered for the elections, even though I double checked my response to the question on the citizenship application forms.

I have had to register myself for Federal, Provincial AND Municipal elections.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
A
Very happy to for that

But I have a question it is almost 3 months gone but I haven’t received MP congratulations letter and I didn’t get any letter from election Canada

Please note in in form I tick both box to register my name in voter list as well as to receive MP congratulations letter

Thanks
lmost 7 months after oath, I am yet to receive any congratulatory message from my MP

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
As
Very happy to for that

Thanks
As for elections canada you need to call them to register on the voter registry. You will also have to contact your provincial elections office to register on the voters list.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I received a rather-generic MP congratulatory letter in the package I was given during the oath ceremony. Along with one from my MPP as well among other more or less boilerplate information and congratulations from various sources. The Citizenship Certificate is the only one of these documents I prize much and am securely storing. (That said, at the time and for awhile, I read some of the material multiple times and wallowed deeply in enjoying these emblems documenting the great privilege of becoming a Canadian citizen.)

Elector Registration:

EXCEPT for Quebec, having checked the box for information to be sent to Elections Canada, in the application, should suffice to become registered for the FEDERAL election (have not checked access to verifying registration online since the 2015 election, but prior to the 2015 election I was able to verify my registration at the Elections Canada website). Received no personal communication as such about this UNTIL I received specific information about being on the VOTER LIST for the next Federal election, which for me was in October 2015 (this was a personal version of the same information sent to all registered electors, although mine arrived a few days after my long-time registered spouse received hers; which, as I recall, was around a month or so prior to the date the election was scheduled).

NOTE: This does NOT constitute registration for EITHER Provincial or Municipal elections. Registration is separate for each of the Federal, Provincial, and Municipal elections. (Quebec is addressed separately.)

For Quebec: In the current application form there is a separate check box for Quebec residents which should result in the new citizen's name being added to Quebec's permanent list of electors for federal, provincial, and municipal elections.

IN ANY CASE, obviously, the information is NOT sent to Elections Canada or to the Chief Electoral Officer of Quebec until AFTER the individual actually becomes a citizen. I do NOT know anything at all about the timeline for this, the timeline for IRCC actually sending the information NOR the timeline for Elections Canada to update the National Register of Electors.

Moreover, I do not know if individually we have access to determine that our name is on the National Register of Electors, or perhaps ONLY access to determine if our name is on a particular VOTER LIST for a specific federal election or referendum (my understanding is that a voter list is generated for each particular federal election). My impression is ONLY the latter.

Thus, there may be no way to verify our name has been properly registered UNTIL there is actually an election scheduled, at which point Elections Canada will generate a VOTER LIST for that election, and thereafter an elector should be able to go to the Elections Canada website and verify he or she is ON THE VOTER LIST for that election. Moreover, if properly on the voter list for an upcoming election, the elector (individuals entitled to vote in the election) should receive a notice (by mail) the same as other electors in that Riding around the same time that other electors in that Riding receive their notice.