+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I applied for study permit extension but I only got extension till my studies end.

Claire_zqymi

Dec 29, 2020
Hey so my situation including several others was kinda different. My study permit was ending on nov 25th. Which is like 30 days extra since my final semester was gonna end on aug 31st. But I needed 1 more semester so ideally I would need to extend my study permit till March of 2021 since the semester would end in December.

Now I'm in quebec so I need to extend caq as well but the govt extended everyone's caq till Dec 31st automatically and rejected any redundant extension application. So I applied for study permit extension straight away. Ideally I should have gotten extension till March but for some reason everyone in my specific situation got till 31st December only. I contacted ircc but they gave me no answer. So if you were in the same situation as me I don't think the SP extension will get approved. I didn't apply for extension but fortunately I got my completion letter in time to apply for pgwp.

When is your final semester? If it's winter 2021 or later I think you should be able to get extension like normal. I think it was people like me who were graduating in dec 2020 with extension got fucked over.

Hi,
It seems that my situation is kinda different.

I’m in Toronto actually. My current study permit will expire on August 31st 2021, which is the same as date on which I will finish my study. As a result, I won’t get enough time to apply for PGWP because I won’t receive my final transcript until the end of September. I’m wondering if I can apply for study permit extension before my current study permit expires. I read the official website and know I could apply for a visitor record. But I could not work if I’m not holding a study permit. So applying for a visitor record is not a good option for me.

So I’m wondering if I could apply for the study permit extension with an explanation letter saying that I need additional time to apply for PGWP even though I will actually finish my study by August.

Hope you could give me some advice on it! Many thanks!

amankjo

Sep 19, 2020
Hi,
It seems that my situation is kinda different.

I’m in Toronto actually. My current study permit will expire on August 31st 2021, which is the same as date on which I will finish my study. As a result, I won’t get enough time to apply for PGWP because I won’t receive my final transcript until the end of September. I’m wondering if I can apply for study permit extension before my current study permit expires. I read the official website and know I could apply for a visitor record. But I could not work if I’m not holding a study permit. So applying for a visitor record is not a good option for me.

So I’m wondering if I could apply for the study permit extension with an explanation letter saying that I need additional time to apply for PGWP even though I will actually finish my study by August.

Hope you could give me some advice on it! Many thanks!
Hmm It's weird that they didn't give you extra 30 days after your final sem. I thought that was the norm. But anyway when would be your final exam? Mine was on 11th dec and I got my marks on 22nd. I had already applied for completion letter 20 days prior just to be safe and I got it on 23rd, so right after I got my final marks. So im guessing as long as your final exam is 20 days before aug 31st you there's a good chance you can get letter in time. Also I only had one subject left 8j final sem so that made matters way easier cyz if you have multiple subjects and one if them takes too long to give marks it will be a problem.

As for applying for extension you should definitely apply with a letter of explanation, including the link another user posted above about the 90 days thing after graduation. If that doesn't work, you already know you have to apply for visitor record to stay. I hope you get your letter in time but even if you don't you will get your pgwp eventually and this shitty situation will pass as well.

Claire_zqymi

Dec 29, 2020
Hmm It's weird that they didn't give you extra 30 days after your final sem. I thought that was the norm. But anyway when would be your final exam? Mine was on 11th dec and I got my marks on 22nd. I had already applied for completion letter 20 days prior just to be safe and I got it on 23rd, so right after I got my final marks. So im guessing as long as your final exam is 20 days before aug 31st you there's a good chance you can get letter in time. Also I only had one subject left 8j final sem so that made matters way easier cyz if you have multiple subjects and one if them takes too long to give marks it will be a problem.

As for applying for extension you should definitely apply with a letter of explanation, including the link another user posted above about the 90 days thing after graduation. If that doesn't work, you already know you have to apply for visitor record to stay. I hope you get your letter in time but even if you don't you will get your pgwp eventually and this shitty situation will pass as well.
Thanks for your advice! I think I will apply for the completion letter in advance but what I’m worried about is the final transcript. I have 7 courses enrolled for the final term and thus it takes around two months for the final transcript to come out. Thus, it seems that I won’t be able to receive all the required documents to apply for PGWP before my current study permit expires. Anyway, I will try to apply the study permit extension before my current one expires. Thanks for your info!!! Hope you get your PGWP quickly!