+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am so depressed. I lost my original diploma/marksheets with ECA.

ashu2111

Jul 15, 2020
Hello everyone,

I want to apply for Express Entry but recently lost my diploma and marksheets. I already did my ECA for my Masters but I cannot find my diploma anymore. My marksheets and diploma, they're both lost. What do I do now? I only have a scanned copy of my diploma certificate on my computer and my university told me that they will not issue me new official diploma or certificates. What do I do now? Can I just attach the copy of my scanned degree certificate with ECA? Will IRCC accept it? What if they demand me the original copies? What will I do?

Does IRCC demands original copy of certificates/marksheets post ITA? I only have a scanned copy of my diploma and not my marksheet. I know I should've taken better care of my documents but we were changing house and I lost them. What should I do now? I am so depressed since the last few days. I don't have the energy or financial resources to do another masters and get another new ECA. Are my hopes of going to Canada lost?

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
You don’t need marksheets for foreign studies. Only if you studied in Canada.

You only need a scanned copy of diploma + ECA.

ashu2111

Jul 15, 2020
You don’t need marksheets for foreign studies. Only if you studied in Canada.

You only need a scanned copy of diploma + ECA.
But I did study in Canada for 2 years. But it was only a diploma. After that I did my bachelors and masters. I have an ECA for my masters and the scanned copy. Plus I have my original marksheets and diploma for my studies in Canada. Will this be enough to get extra 15 bonus points for my studies in Canada ? Are you sure they won't ask for the originals for my masters?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
1. It's very strange that your university will not re-issue your degree certificate and provide you official transcripts. The degree certificate is not usually provided if you want duplicate copies, but if you need a replacement, it should be available upon request. Official transcripts have to be provided at any time you need them, you should make a complaint with your uni's admin. Remember that you are the "client" and your institution is the "provider", don't be afraid to challenge what they tell you, go see the dean of your faculty if required.

2. There is a remote chance that you may be asked to show your original certificates the first time you land in Canada as PR, as the border agent has the right to ask you for any documents you provided relating to your application. In reality, this is usually just done for proof of funds if at all. But technically, it can be requested. In any case, you need to have original certificates and transcripts for your qualifications, for any number of reasons in relation to your career as well.

3. In relation to your PR application, you just need to provide your scanned copies of your original documents, which need to be uploaded with your application. There is one prompt for certificates and another for transcripts. You do need to provide your transcripts for all your qualifications for which you are claiming points for as part of your application.

Last edited:

ashu2111

Jul 15, 2020
1. It's very strange that your university will not re-issue your degree certificate and provide you official transcripts. The degree certificate is not usually provided if you want duplicate copies, but if you need a replacement, it should be available upon request. Official transcripts have to be provided at any time you need them, you should make a complaint with your uni's admin. Remember that you are the "client" and your institution is the "provider", don't be afraid to challenge what they tell you, go see the dean of your faculty if required.

2. There is a remote chance that you may be asked to show your original certificates the first time you land in Canada as PR, as the border agent has the right to ask you for any documents you provided relating to your application. In reality, this is usually just done for proof of funds if at all. But technically, it can be requested. In any case, you need to have original certificates and transcripts for your qualifications, for any number of reasons in relation to your career as well.

3. In relation to your PR application, you just need to provide your scanned copies of your original documents, which need to be uploaded with your application. There is one prompt for certificates and another for transcripts. You do need to provide your transcripts for all your qualifications for which you are claiming points for as part of your application.
Hello Islander. I know it is rather strange but unfortunately that is the way it works in the Netherlands. I talked with them today and in no way they are agreeing to re-issue my degree certificate and marksheets. I already have a scanned copy of my diploma which they will stamp as "certified as original" but the big problem is that I do not have a scanned copy of my marksheets/list of grades. They will not give me my official list of grades but rather provide a copy from their system and stamp it as "certified as original".

Also will CBSA understand that I lost my diploma/marksheet or will they insist on the original copies. I mean I wouldn't be the first one to lose my degree certificate and marksheets.

Also in the transcript section of the PR application, it will not suffice if I just add my Masters certificate, ECA evaluation and unofficial copy of my transcripts? Or is it mandatory to have official copy of list of grades? Looking forward for your response.

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
He is mistaken.
You don’t need to provide marksheets.
There is a slot for marksheets only for Canadian degree not for foreign ones. So just scan of diploma + ECA required.