+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am PR card holder, Can I change my first name and gender on my PR Card

kari0729

Nov 26, 2017
Hi,

I am transgender and I became permanent resident for 3 years now. I finished my gender reassignment surgery last year and I successfully changed my name and gender on my foreign passport. I applied provincial name change and they rejected me and said I have to apply for PR card first. But I read on PR card application page there is a requirement for provincial legal document under new name. I got confused and please help me here. Thank you in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am transgender and I became permanent resident for 3 years now. I finished my gender reassignment surgery last year and I successfully changed my name and gender on my foreign passport. I applied provincial name change and they rejected me and said I have to apply for PR card first. But I read on PR card application page there is a requirement for provincial legal document under new name. I got confused and please help me here. Thank you in advance.
Hi

The PR card app doesn't say that.

Documents issued by Canadian provinces or territories

To ask for a change of sex designation where your documents were issued in Canada, you must submit one of these:

Documents issued outside Canada

If your supporting documents were issued outside Canada:

• we will only grant your change to sex designation if your foreign passport shows your new sex designation.
If your foreign passport shows the requested sex designation, you must submit these documents :
  • a copy of your foreign passport or other national authoritative document showing the requested sex designation;
  • photo identification document issued by the national, state or provincial (or equivalent) authority where you live, showing the amended sex designation (such as a driver’s licence or national ID card);

and one of these sets of documents:
    • a document showing a change of sex designation (such as a legal order issued by a vital statistics agency or an amended birth certificate); or
    • a Request form for a Change of Sex Designation (CIT 0404) stating that:
      • your gender identity matches with the change in sex designation you are asking for,
      • you are living full-time in that gender, and
      • the reason why you did not submit a provincial or territorial document

kari0729

Nov 26, 2017
Thank you for your reply, but this is only for gender change, there is some strange rule for name change.

Permanent Resident and Foreign National obtain a legal name change outside of Canada, residing in Canada
In the instance where permanent resident or foreign national changed their name abroad, yet resides in Canada after obtaining legal name change abroad, CIC will require:

client's foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation amended to reflect the new name,
linking document issued outside of Canada that links the previous name to the new name (with official translation), and
provincial documentation in the new name to establish identity, as part of the application instruction guide to establish the person’s identity, not only the name.

kari0729

Nov 26, 2017
Also , since my passport name changed, what would be my legal name on application form for pr card change? is it my name on permanent resident card or my passport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply, but this is only for gender change, there is some strange rule for name change.

Permanent Resident and Foreign National obtain a legal name change outside of Canada, residing in Canada
In the instance where permanent resident or foreign national changed their name abroad, yet resides in Canada after obtaining legal name change abroad, CIC will require:

client's foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation amended to reflect the new name,
linking document issued outside of Canada that links the previous name to the new name (with official translation), and
provincial documentation in the new name to establish identity, as part of the application instruction guide to establish the person’s identity, not only the name.
Don't know where you are getting that.

Legal Change of Name

If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:

• a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.