+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am in deep trouble. help pls!

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My study permit and study visa will expire on dec 2015.

I have one course left, im gonna take it in may-august. Since this is only one course, i dont think this is full.time study.

Will i have problem later on? After im done with this course, i will graduate.

Am i in trouble?

OrcaBayVan

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why do you think your in trouble? All Visa's expire sometime.

This is normal that you complete your Study than the Visa expires.

You can apply for a new program of Study after you Graduate and after being accepted extend your Study Visa if you want to stay and Study more?

What are your goals?

th3.rdx

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can go part time after all your schdueled semesters , if you have some courses left .

YOu can apply for a study permit extn. . no problems at all

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What im worried is about me having one subject in final semester. This counts as part time study i think.

Afaik, the new rules dont allow part time study. (Not sure)

Im not worried about my study visa and pernit being expired because i have extra months in it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The changes that went into effect on June 1, 2014 don't say anything about studying part-time:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that:

if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program

Saahi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
Please clarify doubts on CIC website. Everything is given on that.

For last academic session, student is allowed to be part time student(when not much courses are left to be full time ) and can work 20 hours per week, provided he has been continuously be full time student in the earlier semesters .
In this situation one is as eligible as other students for PGWP and Study permit extension,.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
hell911 said:
My study permit and study visa will expire on dec 2015.

I have one course left, im gonna take it in may-august. Since this is only one course, i dont think this is full.time study.

Will i have problem later on? After im done with this course, i will graduate.

Am i in trouble?
"Students must have continuously studied full time in Canada. However, if a student meets all the eligibility requirements, with the exception of full time status during their final academic session, they are still considered to be eligible for this program"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
"Students must have continuously studied full time in Canada. However, if a student meets all the eligibility requirements, with the exception of full time status during their final academic session, they are still considered to be eligible for this program"

That is for a person wishing to apply for a PGWP. The OP has not yet graduated and would not be eligible for the PGWP.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
That is for a person wishing to apply for a PGWP. The OP has not yet graduated and would not be eligible for the PGWP.
Are u saying i will not receive pgwp? Why? I have one course left.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
Are u saying i will not receive pgwp? Why? I have one course left.
I'm not saying that at all, but your question was regarding whether or not taking one class would jeopardize the validity of your study permit, correct?

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
I'm not saying that at all, but your question was regarding whether or not taking one class would jeopardize the validity of your study permit, correct?
Yes. I will have one class only in my last semester (4 months). My study visa and study permit has 8 more months validity.

My question is, having one class only in last semester will have any negative impact on my study permit or not? If not, can i get PGWP later on?

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
Yes. I will have one class only in my last semester (4 months). My study visa and study permit has 8 more months validity.

My question is, having one class only in last semester will have any negative impact on my study permit or not? If not, can i get PGWP later on?

Thanks
Haven't I already answered your question?

Ponga said:
The changes that went into effect on June 1, 2014 don't say anything about studying part-time:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that:

if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hell911 said:

Thanks
As long as you were only a part-time student during your very last semester (rather than your last two semesters), you shouldn't have any issues getting a PGWP. CIC understands that part-time status is sometimes required at the very end to complete a diploma/degree. What creates a problem is becoming a part time student with 2 or more semesters remaining. To re-quote what mead posted above:

Being a part-time student during your last semester only will not jeopardize the status of your study permit. Again, CIC understand that part-time status is sometimes required to complete your studies.

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All,

Having gone through the mail trail. Please help clarify issue below

My program is 1 year academic + 1 year coop (2 years = 3 years PGWP)

Completed the second semester academic session. However, I have one reference - Currently enrolled for the reference (May -August) but now tagged as part time

I will begin coop in September, then graduate finally.

Question

Please will i still be eligible for PGWP after graduating?????? #worried.

Regards.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks scylla and everyone.

I actually talked to the advisor at my school. She also said the same. As long as I am in my FINAL semester, i can be a part time student and work 20 hours with SIN. And it will not create any kind of problem afterwards.