+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am going to ottawa via toronto where my immigration and customs will happen ?

DRAJPUT

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Hello All,
I am travelling from india to ottawa via toronto.
I have booked Emirates tickets from India to Ottawa (via dubai and Toronto).
I have few queries:
1) Where the immigration and customs will happen? Toronto or Ottawa?

2 ) Do I need to collect my checked in baggages in toronto for customs and again give it back to connecting airline to Ottawa?
Or the Emirates guys will directly shift the baggages from one flight to another ?

Thanking in anticipation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,
I am travelling from india to ottawa via toronto.
I have booked Emirates tickets from India to Ottawa (via dubai and Toronto).
I have few queries:
1) Where the immigration and customs will happen? Toronto or Ottawa?

2 ) Do I need to collect my checked in baggages in toronto for customs and again give it back to connecting airline to Ottawa?
Or the Emirates guys will directly shift the baggages from one flight to another ?

Thanking in anticipation.
Immigration / customs will be in Toronto. Yes - you will need to collected your checked bags in Toronto and pass through customs with them.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add you should allow 3 hours for the connection. May take less time no way to predict as can just depend on time of day how busy immigration is.

holyspectral

Dec 10, 2019
I travelled to Ottawa via Toronto last year. I landed at 9:30pm and barely caught my flight on 12:30 because of delay in immigration. Just FYI.

DRAJPUT

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
I am getting relocated on ICT visa.
My office has booked through tickets from India to Ottawa.
I am scheduled to reach toronto at 9AM and then the connecting flight is at 12PM.

holyspectral

Dec 10, 2019
You may be able to re-check your baggage before entering airport entrance behind custom/immigration. Check signs and it will save you a lot of time.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am getting relocated on ICT visa.
My office has booked through tickets from India to Ottawa.
I am scheduled to reach toronto at 9AM and then the connecting flight is at 12PM.
You bags should be checked all way through to Ottawa but you collect bags at Toronto pass through customs and then follow signs for the connections desk where you drop off your bags for the Toronto to Ottawa flight.

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections

DRAJPUT

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
So some updates from my side.
I reached ottawa last Monday.
I landed at Toronto at 9 30 AM.
And missed my connecting flight to ottawa.
There was long immigration line.
Only 4-5 immigration counters were open at that time.
Immigration officers were taking veryyyy long time especially for people who has visitor visa or people who are visiting with families on visitor visa. Kind of weird.
It took me 1 hour in immigration line.
At the counter.. Officer asked couple of questions and asked to wait and sit in the waiting area... as i was having small kid with me.
He took 10-15 min to process my work permit and visitor record for wife and kid.
I was then sent for customs checking as i have declared that i am carrying Ghee in my luggage.
Custom officer removed ghee from my luggage and didn't looked into any of the other luggage.
My luggage was offloaded at Toronto Airport even though it was tagged all the way to ottawa.
When I got the boarding passes at india airport i did asked the Emirates staff about this and they did told me to collect the luggage at Toronto airport.
Bybthe time i cleared customs.. It was already 11 30AM and my flight to ottawa was scheduled for 12PM.
I landed and T1 and had domestic flight from T3.
T3 is very farrrrr from T1.
I have to walk a lot all along with my 9 piece of luggage and than have to catch a metro train to reach T3.
Westjest Airlines than allowed me to board the next flight to ottawa... Without any additional charges.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well on the positive side at least you could board the next flight without charge, possibly due to fact you had a through ticket. But as per other replies luggage, customs and at least a 3 hour minimum connection time plus or minus. Surprised though you had to transport luggage yourself between terminals given on a through ticket would have expected the connections desk in T1 to take it and transfer it.

Never understand why people find the need to bring food products into the country but at least you had the sense to declare given some people do not and find out the hard reality of a fine. Anyone else reading if in doubt declare and if food always declare leave to CBSA to make a decision, no penalty to declare other than maybe confiscation.

DRAJPUT

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Yes thats right.. I had a through ticket from india to ottawa.
I asked to emirates guys at T1 to shift my luggage from T1 to T3. But they told they cant.. Because i have to clear customs first.
The custom officer appreciated that i was honest to declare what i am carrying with me.
She didn't gave me any trouble.
She told me that if i wouldn't have declared it.. I will be fined 1300 CaD and a possible red flag.

DRAJPUT

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Quick question here.
Can my wife apply for SIN as she got a visitor record to stay for 3 years in canada. Right now she has multiple entry visitor visa for her.
Please let me know.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Quick question here.
Can my wife apply for SIN as she got a visitor record to stay for 3 years in canada. Right now she has multiple entry visitor visa for her.
Please let me know.
No. She needs a work permit to get a SIN.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Yes thats right.. I had a through ticket from india to ottawa.
I asked to emirates guys at T1 to shift my luggage from T1 to T3. But they told they cant.. Because i have to clear customs first.
The custom officer appreciated that i was honest to declare what i am carrying with me.
She didn't gave me any trouble.
She told me that if i wouldn't have declared it.. I will be fined 1300 CaD and a possible red flag.
1. Once you clear Customs/Immigration, there is transfer belt for domestic flights. Emirates should have told you about the Connections desk.