+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am eligible of PR, What would be best to get work permit of my spouse?

ashek1520

Aug 22, 2012
Hi All,
I have a 3 year post graduate work permit (recently graduated)
I am eligible to apply for PR (not applied yet) and I am going to get married in 4-5 months and my spouse does not have any Canadian visa or permit now. I wish her to come here on open work permit, she is a graduate from a well know institution in India and she has 2 years of work experience.
What should I do?
1. Should I apply for PR? I have heard that if I apply for PR and I get one then my spouse shall also have to apply for PR (no other visa will be allowed), and usually that takes a year, which does not seem to be a good option.
2. If I continue with my work permit, what are the chances of getting open work permit for her. What are the possible issues?
Please guide me. If you have any suggestion other than this please let me know.

Thanks

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
There are a couple of options:
1. That's not necessarily true that "no other visa is allowed". It is certainly a bit tricky but Canada has "dual intent"(read about it) which allows an applicant to apply for both temporary status(e.g. work permit) and PR at the same time.

The most important thing in such a scenario is that your wife shows strong ties in India(steady job, adequate funds, etc) and satisfies the officer that she will return to India by the expiration of her work permit even if there is no decision on the PR application or PR is rejected. Visa officers are usually concerned about people overstaying their visas in such cases especially if one spouse already lives/works in Canada. Basically, the better prepared you are(supporting documents, etc) the better your chances.

2. She has to satisfy the officer and decision is up to visa officer. No guarantee, she has to apply to find out. Goodluck!