+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am currently in Canada on PR but I was outside for four years, can I sponsor my wife?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi hamidrezazadeh,

When you entered Canada after 4 years, were you given 44(1) since you did not meet the PR requirements for 730 days?

I am planning to migrate to Canada but we were worried that we will be given removal order 44(1) at the port of entry since we have not met the 730 days requirement. We were planning to travel earlier but my wife was expecting twins so we were not able to move.
Even if you were expecting twins you could have likely moved and you likely waited 3 years until planning on moving so that is often not viewed as H&C. You had the opportunity to move much earlier but decided to move too close to your RO and didn't account for unexpected events. If you don't meet your RO you can't sponsor your children for PR for 2 years. One parent must be in Canada and you must be compliant with RO to sponsor a family member.

nigava

Dec 21, 2018
Even if you were expecting twins you could have likely moved and you likely waited 3 years until planning on moving so that is often not viewed as H&C. You had the opportunity to move much earlier but decided to move too close to your RO and didn't account for unexpected events. If you don't meet your RO you can't sponsor your children for PR for 2 years. One parent must be in Canada and you must be compliant with RO to sponsor a family member.
canuck78 Thanks for your response.

"You can't sponsor your children for PR for 2 years." 2 years after a successfully hearing of RO? I read that in some cases hearing/result time is 1-2 years. Will that means I will not be able to apply for my children for 3 years(1 year for hearing and another 2 years for PR requirement).

Will the kids be able to get their regular shots during this time without Canadian health card?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
canuck78 Thanks for your response.

"You can't sponsor your children for PR for 2 years." 2 years after a successfully hearing of RO? I read that in some cases hearing/result time is 1-2 years. Will that means I will not be able to apply for my children for 3 years(1 year for hearing and another 2 years for PR requirement).

Will the kids be able to get their regular shots during this time without Canadian health card?

Thanks
In order to sponsor your children you need to be compliant with your RO, then it will take 6-10 months to sponsor them. How will they enter Canada? Children born abroad are often not granted TRVs. You can then try TRP but that is also not guaranteed. You'd also have to extend their stay every 6 months if they are granted TRvs. Depending on the province and area, vaccinations may be available through public health department. This is really to protect Canadians from being infected by unvaccinated people. This is dependent on whether they are able to enter Canada. Kids go to the doctor for lots of other thing other than vaccinations so you will have to pay for that and have insurance to cover any emergencies that would be much more costly.

If you get reported there is a chance you could lose you and your wife could lose your PRs.

nigava

Dec 21, 2018
In order to sponsor your children you need to be compliant with your RO, then it will take 6-10 months to sponsor them. How will they enter Canada? Children born abroad are often not granted TRVs. You can then try TRP but that is also not guaranteed. You'd also have to extend their stay every 6 months if they are granted TRvs. Depending on the province and area, vaccinations may be available through public health department. This is really to protect Canadians from being infected by unvaccinated people. This is dependent on whether they are able to enter Canada. Kids go to the doctor for lots of other thing other than vaccinations so you will have to pay for that and have insurance to cover any emergencies that would be much more costly.

If you get reported there is a chance you could lose you and your wife could lose your PRs.
They are born in the US so I am hoping that they can travel to Canada without any issues. However, we will still need to think about there longterm stay issue in Canada. How much does the private insurance cost? Do you have any list of insurance companies where I can buy insurance for a family?

Dec 23, 2018
I’m in Canada and I have valid PR card. But I lived in pas 4 years outside Canada. Since To keep PR status I have to live 2 out of 5 years in Canada l, is there a problem with sponsoring my wife?
For the fact that you're a permanent resident it shouldn't be a problem, which means, in general it should be OK as long as you live in Canada while the application is being processed, but since you didn't follow the rules, and you were away for a period of time exceeding the allowed may cause them to renounce your PR, and travel information is something you'll need to fill out on the forms, and DO NOT lie on the forms, so you'll have to figure out how to play with all this

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They are born in the US so I am hoping that they can travel to Canada without any issues. However, we will still need to think about there longterm stay issue in Canada. How much does the private insurance cost? Do you have any list of insurance companies where I can buy insurance for a family?
You'll have to look it up. You'll also have to plan to pay for their general healthcare or things like small infections/medications.

hamidrezazadeh

Star Member
Apr 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2011
Doc's Request.
may 2013
Med's Request
Jun 2013
Med's Done....
july 2013
Passport Req..
dec 2013
LANDED..........
JAN2014
For the fact that you're a permanent resident it shouldn't be a problem, which means, in general it should be OK as long as you live in Canada while the application is being processed, but since you didn't follow the rules, and you were away for a period of time exceeding the allowed may cause them to renounce your PR, and travel information is something you'll need to fill out on the forms, and DO NOT lie on the forms, so you'll have to figure out how to play with all this

Thank you.
Despite the very strong negative comments from some people on this topic, I applied for my wife sponsorship and I got sponsor approval. I also had a travel to visit her in December for three weeks while my PR card was valid with NO PROBLEM.
I was honest and filled the forms with true dates.
The only thing that I am sure is that I cannot renew my PR card before spending 730 days in Canada within the past 5 years, this is the points they check it for sure. So when my PR Card expires I cannot travel abroad and as long as I am inside Canada I will be ok.

I hope this helps people with a similar situation with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: wamcee