+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am an international student: Is it ok to rent one bedroom in a two bedroom building?

dakota1r

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
I am an international student, I am thinking of renting a 2 bedroom apartment from a renting agent, I would be the only individual living there. I am planning to get a roommate for my other room.
Is this ok to rent one of my rooms? or it would be an illegal thing, considering I have already rented the place. How would you do?
two rooms are not equal in size, so how should I divide the rent between me and the new roommate?
is that a must to add the new tenent name to the lease agreement? if yes, why?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You need to check with your landlord about subletting the room. All agents are different and may require both on the lease. How you divide the rent is between the two of you.

blackmoon2908

Feb 24, 2012
Laws different depends on the province you are in but normally you won't have issues sublease the other bedroom if you are living in the unit. It would be better to get permission from your landlord.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Laws different depends on the province you are in but normally you won't have issues sublease the other bedroom if you are living in the unit. It would be better to get permission from your landlord.
It is up to the landlord not the province. There are many landlords who would object and specifying the lease that nobody can sublet without the landlord approving or require every tenant to be in the lease.