+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a MSc student. I want to apply for a PhD after MSc.

nimzyy

Aug 4, 2021
Hi, I have a study permit for my MSc and planning to apply for a PhD. My husband has a open work permit.

I arrived in Canada in January 2020 and I will be graduating in Feb 2022 or march 2022 with my Master's degree. PhD will start on September 2022

My worry/concern is as follows:

(1)Once I graduate in January 2022, I will not be studying while in Canada. Instead, I will be waiting for my PhD to start in September 2022.
What should I do as there is likely a gap of 7+ months between graduation and beginning my next journey.
Do I need to go back to my home country and apply for a study permit?

Also I want to know about my husband's work permit. What would happen to his permit? Does he has to go back to our home country?
Or is there something similar to PGWP that I can I apply, but short term (6 months or something)?
Or can I stay in Canada?

(2) Should I apply for a new study permit or should I apply for an extension of study permit when apply Visa for PhD?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
2) You will need a new study permit. Your current permit is for the Master program and nothing else.

nimzyy

Aug 4, 2021
2) You will need a new study permit. Your current permit is for the Master program and nothing else.
Some of my friends said I have to extend my study permit. I am confused now.

Can anyone else confirm what I should do?

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
Some of my friends said I have to extend my study permit. I am confused now.

Can anyone else confirm what I should do?
Can you reach out to your university? They can't advice on visa purposes but they will guide you on the right procedure to follow.