+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I-94 Arrival / Departure Record Request Authorization Form at Citizenship Interview

May 6, 2013
Hi All,

I attended a Citizenship Test at Mississauga Office last week. After the Test the officer asked me to sign the Authorization form to retrieve Exit/ Entry details from I-94 Website. I had made a few trips to US in last 5 years, but none over 1 week. I am October 2017 Applicant from Brampton and my test happened after 16 months. I had 6 month buffer when I applied form Citizenship.

My question is:
1) Will this report request delay my Citizenship Oath?
2) How much longer will my application take because of this report ?
3) Why did the officer request authorization for I-94 instead of requesting details from CBSA?
4) At one point officer mentioned that he does not wants Hold my Application for CBSA report, since I have been living and working in Canada for last 6 years. Then later he asked me to sign Authorization for I-94 report. I am little confused.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi All,

I attended a Citizenship Test at Mississauga Office last week. After the Test the officer asked me to sign the Authorization form to retrieve Exit/ Entry details from I-94 Website. I had made a few trips to US in last 5 years, but none over 1 week. I am October 2017 Applicant from Brampton and my test happened after 16 months. I had 6 month buffer when I applied form Citizenship.

My question is:
1) Will this report request delay my Citizenship Oath?
2) How much longer will my application take because of this report ?
3) Why did the officer request authorization for I-94 instead of requesting details from CBSA?
4) At one point officer mentioned that he does not wants Hold my Application for CBSA report, since I have been living and working in Canada for last 6 years. Then later he asked me to sign Authorization for I-94 report. I am little confused.
1) Will this report request delay my Citizenship Oath? and 2) How much longer will my application take because of this report ?

Some delay, but probably not much outside many typical post-test timelines, UNLESS, of course, a concern or issue pops up in what information IRCC obtains.

That said, seems to me we have just started seeing more reports about this. Not enough historically to draw conclusions about the impact on the timeline.

There are several possible reasons why IRCC might want such information . . . and, frankly, it could just be that they ask for the applicant's permission to gauge the applicant's response and might not bother to follow through (I do NOT know how much work it is . . . other than with permission and recent changes in laws and agreements with the U.S., I know it is lot easier now than it was not too long ago).

Why U.S. information versus CBSA travel history is that the U.S. information essentially constitutes exit from Canada information (entry into U.S. showing exit from Canada), whereas in contrast the CBSA travel history does not show land crossing exit dates from Canada.

Not sure there is a question here.

It is very difficult to read much into the Interviewer's comments or questions, and near impossible for anyone to do so based on a second-hand account. What underlies this could range, as I mentioned, from merely gauging how you would react, to being about something triggering a concern or doubt, in the Interviewer's perception, regarding your accounting of physical presence. That is, it could be rather little and of very little import, or if triggered by concerns about meeting the presence requirement, something significant.

If you accurately reported all travel history, this request for permission does not suggest any reason to worry at all.

I think access to the information is electronic and should not take much time at all . . . so the question is whether the application sits in a queue waiting for someone to actually do it. Applications can sit in queue days or weeks or even months waiting for the appropriate processing agent to do what can be done in a few minutes. Again, it seems there is suddenly more reporting about this process, whereas up to recently there has not been enough reporting to see how this has been affecting the timeline for applicants. BUT again, like all the other steps in the process, how long it takes is far, far more about how long the application waits in queue for the next action to be taken, the time to take the action itself rarely being much at all.

drkenuch

Jan 15, 2019
there is usually no delay as i have something similar and decision was made after 4 days of my test and today I got my oat invite