+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

hypothetical question: do you need a new TRV after getting approved for Study permit if you already have a TRV from a previous visit to canada?

Rohit Abby Elias

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Let's say you visited Canada in 2019. You hold a TRV valid for 10 years (2019-2029)

You apply for Study permit in 2020 and you get approval letter. No need of biometrics because you already submitted for the previous trip.

Now, you hold an approval letter, do you need to send the passport to paste a fresh visa even though you already have Valid TRV?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
My husband's TRV is a V-1 while the TRV I got with my study permit is a S-1. I'm not however sure if the different categories matter. In any case, a TRV will be issued with your SP unless you specifically declined to apply for it when you submitted your SP application.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
My husband's TRV is a V-1 while the TRV I got with my study permit is a S-1. I'm not however sure if the different categories matter. In any case, a TRV will be issued with your SP unless you specifically declined to apply for it when you submitted your SP application.
Did your husband hold valid V-1 before your approved application? Did he apply for SOWP? I just checked my wife’s passport and she had W-1 TRV Visa. I’m not sure if these classification matters when boarding a flight, but with covid guidelines i guess it may ( From essential point of view)…. But back to OP, if you receive PPT while you have valid V-1, submit your passport and they will either issue S-1 or return with explaination letter you can use.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Did your husband hold valid V-1 before your approved application? Did he apply for SOWP? I just checked my wife’s passport and she had W-1 TRV Visa. I’m not sure if these classification matters when boarding a flight, but with covid guidelines i guess it may ( From essential point of view)…. But back to OP, if you receive PPT while you have valid V-1, submit your passport and they will either issue S-1 or return with explaination letter you can use.
My husband's last TRV (Visitor's) was issued in 2019 and it's expired now. Your wife's seem to be a TRV issued with a WP?
I am also not sure if the categories really matter.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
My husband's last TRV (Visitor's) was issued in 2019 and it's expired now. Your wife's seem to be a TRV issued with a WP?
I am also not sure if the categories really matter.
Yes. Thats correct, TRV was issued first and she got her printed WP at PoE ( Toronto Pearson Airport ).