Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Med's Done....
17-02-2015
My husband is Canadian, and he wants to sponsor myself and my daughter (his step-daughter) to come live in Canada. I have full physical custody of my daughter but share legal custody with my American ex-husband. Does he have to write a letter saying he approves for her to move?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lovemycanadian said:
My husband is Canadian, and he wants to sponsor myself and my daughter (his step-daughter) to come live in Canada. I have full physical custody of my daughter but share legal custody with my American ex-husband. Does he have to write a letter saying he approves for her to move?
Yes, you are either going to have to get a notarized letter from him or an order from the court allowing you to move the child outside the US>

lovemycanadian

Jan 5, 2015
Spruce Grove, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Med's Done....
17-02-2015
Thanks. The notarized letter, would I just submit that in with the rest of the package?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
lovemycanadian said:
Thanks. The notarized letter, would I just submit that in with the rest of the package?
yes. submit everything you have UPFRONT, including a copy of your child custody agreement from the court. that way it will limit any delays because of CIC requesting a document. they are very strict on this type of situation, and all ducks must be in a row before they will approve the application.

lovemycanadian

Jan 5, 2015
Spruce Grove, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Med's Done....
17-02-2015
Do you know if there needs to be anything specific that needs to be in the letter? Like for example, how often the child can be visited, etc.? Google isn't helping me very much.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
lovemycanadian said:
Do you know if there needs to be anything specific that needs to be in the letter? Like for example, how often the child can be visited, etc.? Google isn't helping me very much.
no, i'm not sure. i would imagine the words need to sound something like "i, (father's name) give my daughter, x permission to immigrate to canada to become a permanent resident and live with x and x." i would also have him put his and his attorney's contact information on the letter. hopefully others with the same experience can tell you what else to write...

Applechunks

Star Member
Nov 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/30/2014
AOR Received.
AOR 12/24/14, SA 12/29/14
File Transfer...
Sydney 01/06/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10/07/2014, Meds received ECAS 01/06/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision made 3/6/15, PPR 3/31/15
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 04/27/15
LANDED..........
08/08/15
canuck_in_uk said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5604E.pdf
Exactly! Have the non-accompanying parent complete this form and provide a notarised copy of their ID.
Also provide any custody/court documents that you have.

lovemycanadian

Jan 5, 2015
Spruce Grove, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Med's Done....
17-02-2015
Thank you, that was a big help! I will be sending my ex-husband a copy of this today!

lovemycanadian

Jan 5, 2015
Spruce Grove, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Med's Done....
17-02-2015
I found this too on the website:

If a minor child is travelling with one parent only
The child should have:

a copy of their birth certificate, and
a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, and signed by the parent who is not travelling with them.
The above letter should give the address and telephone number of the parent who is not travelling. A photocopy of that parent's signed passport or national identity card should be attached.

Also:

If the parents are separated or divorced, and share custody of the child, the parent travelling with the child should carry copies of the legal custody documents. It is also best to have a letter of authorization from the other parent who has custody to take the child on a trip out of the country.
If the parents are separated or divorced and one of them has sole custody of the child, the letter of authorization may be signed by that parent only and they should bring a copy of the custody decree.
If one of the child's parents is deceased, the travelling parent should bring a copy of the death certificate.

figtoria

Nov 19, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow.

That's the first time I have seen that form!

My husband is sponsoring his son from a previous marriage (from Florida) and we sent to the CIC the custody papers and the "Parental Agreement" where all the information about where his son will live (with us, in Canada) and when he'll visit his mom, etc is all laid out, signed by both parties and then we had to have it signed by a judge in Florida.

I hope that was enough and the CIC don't request that document as well, which will cause a delay. His son is really hoping to move up with us in the summer and go to school here next fall.

lovemycanadian

Jan 5, 2015
Spruce Grove, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Med's Done....
17-02-2015
Wow, keep me posted! I would really like to know how it all turns out for you guys! Good luck!

Skyline29

Aug 11, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2014
Doc's Request.
Dependant fill out form & sent documents
AOR Received.
File in Ecas feb 19, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront medical
Med's Done....
Done
Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
Hi to everyone:) I just wondering , how bout if the father not around anymore, what I mean is he never bother him self to care to the child & can not locate where he is, he don't have communicate at all , totally abandon something like that, so what the best thing to do?
Thanks for help / reply:)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Skyline29 said:
Hi to everyone:) I just wondering , how bout if the father not around anymore, what I mean is he never bother him self to care to the child & can not locate where he is, he don't have communicate at all , totally abandon something like that, so what the best thing to do?
Thanks for help / reply:)
You need to either have permission from the father or full custody papers from the courts. If you can't find the father, you will have to go to court.

Skyline29

Aug 11, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2014
Doc's Request.
Dependant fill out form & sent documents
AOR Received.
File in Ecas feb 19, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront medical
Med's Done....
Done
Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
canuck_in_uk said:
You need to either have permission from the father or full custody papers from the courts. If you can't find the father, you will have to go to court.
Thanks for the info Canuck :) I will do that hope it will not that hard to do with the court:)