+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband refuge to Canada

cg2018

Jan 6, 2019
I am a US Citizen and my spouse is from Gaza Palestine, he is considered stateless. He moved to Turkey on a visitors visa before we met and has residency in turkey for only 2 years.
We met in January 2018 and got married in Turkey Oct 2018. I travel to Turkey every 3 months to see him and its exhausting. I have already applied for an USA I -130 petition for him to come to US but it can be months or years until or when he can get approved. I dont want to live in Turkey as I have a good job and family here. I live in Michigan and 2 hrs away from Canada border. Can he seek refuge in Canada at port of entry? He cannot go back to Gaza as it is a dangerous situation there. Do you think he will have hard time because he has US spouse?Thank you.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I am a US Citizen and my spouse is from Gaza Palestine, he is considered stateless. He moved to Turkey on a visitors visa before we met and has residency in turkey for only 2 years.
We met in January 2018 and got married in Turkey Oct 2018. I travel to Turkey every 3 months to see him and its exhausting. I have already applied for an USA I -130 petition for him to come to US but it can be months or years until or when he can get approved. I dont want to live in Turkey as I have a good job and family here. I live in Michigan and 2 hrs away from Canada border. Can he seek refuge in Canada at port of entry? He cannot go back to Gaza as it is a dangerous situation there. Do you think he will have hard time because he has US spouse?Thank you.
What are his grounds to claim asylum? You not wanting to move to Turkey is not a good enough reason. Is he in danger? How does he plan on going to Canada? If he is stateless and has temporary residence only, chances of a TRV are low from what I gather.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed, with an American spouse it presents options for immigration to the US. IF he could even get to Canada (being stateless and having no passport would be an issue for travel), his application would be refused. The fact it takes years to process his I130 is irrelevant and his assylum claim would be denied. Be aware, when he is denied, he would be deported back to his home country, not Turkey. There is a lot of risk involved in your scheme for your spouse if you truly are concerned with his safety in Gaza.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He needs a TRV to travel to Canada and claim refugee status. If the is stateless, it's pretty much guaranteed the TRV is going to be refused. I don't see how claiming refugee status in Canada is an option for him.