+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband received PR, but might go to another country next year for internship

lovelywhite7

May 10, 2016
Hi all,

My husband recently received his PR. Having applied for PR through Spousal Sponsorship, we understand that we must stay together for 2 years.

However, my husband might be going to Germany next year for a summer-long internship. He is a graduate student, and expanding his research is really important and so we really hope that he can go. My concern is the Condition 51. I am currently working full-time and will not be able to go with him for the entire summer. Will that impact the Condition 51?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
it may or it may not. no one really knows how Condition 51 is tracked. technically it is breaching the condition, however the only way CIC will know is if it's reported. it's your decision whether to risk it or not.

M

mikeymyke

Going away for a few weeks is fine, but he's definitely taking a big risk by going away for an entire summer. Either you go with him, or he forgets about this internship. However, usually they'll only know he breached Condition 51 if it's reported, and no one really knows if he's gone for that long, will they do anything about it themselves or only wait until you report him.

Bottom line is with him being away for that long, I wouldn't risk it.

Did you guys know about Condition 51 before you decided to sponsor? If this internship was important, why didn't you guys just wait until he finishes it, and then sponsor?

lovelywhite7

May 10, 2016
We actually didn't know about Condition 51. And we also didn't know about the internship.

Would it help if I visit him and he comes back home once during the internship?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
lovelywhite7 said:
We actually didn't know about Condition 51. And we also didn't know about the internship.

Would it help if I visit him and he comes back home once during the internship?
no one can really tell you what may or may not happen. it all depends on IF CIC finds out and what, if anything, they decide to do. there's a good chance they won't find out, and you'll be fine. there's also the chance they could find out, and you'll have to deal with whatever happens. while it may be a small risk, it is still a risk. it is up to you if it's worth the risk. if you go with him, there is no issue.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It might not be a problem. How long is the internship? If he is going to be away for 4 months, then this would break the cohabitation necessary. As noted above, though, CIC probably would not find out. They generally find out if someone complains, typically the sponsor. Even if they did find out, they might do nothing, since you haven't broken up.
If you could visit him for a month (or longer), and he also visited here, then I would say the risk would be minimal.

lovelywhite7

May 10, 2016
He is going away for three months (at the most) and will be coming home halfway to visit, and I will also visit.

Wouldn't it be okay since he is going with the intent of coming back home?

Also, since he has to apply for a visa there, will CIC find out about the visa application?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I think you are OK with a three-month internship where you visit him and he comes back to visit you. Try to space things out so not much time is actually spent apart. For example, if he were there for June, July, and August, if you visited for 3 weeks from June 25th on, then he visited you for two weeks from the end of July, the actual times apart are short.

lovelywhite7

May 10, 2016
I hope it's okay. He is still a student so in case CIC creates problem, I guess I can just tell them that my husband will be coming back for school at the end of August.