+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband PR Card expired outside the country

Pauldias

Jul 1, 2020
Good day,

I need some information on expired PR card of Husband(myself).

I could not travel back to Canada before the expiry date as I had some work commitments to fulfill abroad and did not meet the required days criteria so it’s not possible to renew it. The PR card has expired now almost 1 year.

But, my wife has been in Canada for the last 4 years with my kids on a valid PR with she been working in a school plus the kids have been studying there also.

Can my wife reapply for my PR card from her end or what’s the best way to get my PR card back and valid so that I can move to Canada soon. She was the primary applicant when we applied initial and went through the process of migrating.

Would appreciate your response.

Thank you,
Paul

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day,

I need some information on expired PR card of Husband(myself).

I could not travel back to Canada before the expiry date as I had some work commitments to fulfill abroad and did not meet the required days criteria so it’s not possible to renew it. The PR card has expired now almost 1 year.

But, my wife has been in Canada for the last 4 years with my kids on a valid PR with she been working in a school plus the kids have been studying there also.

Can my wife reapply for my PR card from her end or what’s the best way to get my PR card back and valid so that I can move to Canada soon. She was the primary applicant when we applied initial and went through the process of migrating.

Would appreciate your response.

Thank you,
Paul
Your wife can not attempt to renew your PR card for you and it would not be approved since you don’t seem to meet the RO. You have the choice to renounce your PR and start the sponsorship process again or try and enter via the US border with your expired PR card and hope you don’t get reported. If you get reported you can appeal and see if you get to keep your PR. Do you have a US visa?

Pauldias

Jul 1, 2020
Your wife can not attempt to renew your PR card for you and it would not be approved since you don’t seem to meet the RO. You have the choice to renounce your PR and start the sponsorship process again or try and enter via the US border with your expired PR card and hope you don’t get reported. If you get reported you can appeal and see if you get to keep your PR. Do you have a US visa?

Thank you for your prompt reply. No I don’t have a US visa; so that option is gone. Renouncing the PR(I guess I would have to do at the local Canadian Embassy) and reapplying, is this to be done by my wife in Canada or I would have to do it from my end? Also how long this process takes approximately like?

Will appreciate your response. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your prompt reply. No I don’t have a US visa; so that option is gone. Renouncing the PR(I guess I would have to do at the local Canadian Embassy) and reapplying, is this to be done by my wife in Canada or I would have to do it from my end? Also how long this process takes approximately like?

Will appreciate your response. Thank you
You can still apply for a US visa. You’d need to contact CIC about renouncing your PR status. You will need to reapply for spousal sponsorship. You both have to contribute to the application. Estimated processing time is a year but will likely be longer due to covid. If your wife is a PR she must remain in Canada, minus a short vacation, during processing.

Pauldias

Jul 1, 2020
You can still apply for a US visa. You’d need to contact CIC about renouncing your PR status. You will need to reapply for spousal sponsorship. You both have to contribute to the application. Estimated processing time is a year but will likely be longer due to covid. If your wife is a PR she must remain in Canada, minus a short vacation, during processing.
Thanks for your prompt response. Will check my options on US visa and act accordingly. Thank you