+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband overstayed in other country.

zoyakhan

Feb 25, 2015
Hi everyone. I am PR in Canada and currently living in Canada. I got married last month in Pakistan and I want to apply for my husband's immigration. He went to Australia for study but overstayed there for 3 years. Now I am worried if that overstayed period in Australia will affect his immigration to Canada. He has no criminal record and he left Australia voluntarily, was not deported. I need some expert's advice on this matter. Please reply if you have any information regarding such scenario. Thanks

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shouldn't be a problem to CIC, particularly because he is not living illegally anymore. you will have to mention in the personal history section that he was out of status for that period and his occupation.

zoyakhan

Feb 25, 2015
Thanks but I was planning not to mention it. If I dont mention his staying in Australia. Is it okay? Or do they inquire about past traveling history?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zoyakhan said:
Thanks but I was planning not to mention it. If I dont mention his staying in Australia. Is it okay? Or do they inquire about past traveling history?
do not lie in the documents. that's misrepresentation and a serious offense. CIC will know from his passport stamps and how else would you fill in the gaps during those years? You can't say he was in some other place and doing nothing. Just dont go there. Be honest.

chezvelo

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2014
AOR Received.
18-01-2015
File Transfer...
04-02-2015
Passport Req..
20-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2015
LANDED..........
April 2015
zoyakhan said:
On one of the forms he will have to disclose his whereabouts (and addresses) for the past 10 years, as well as jobs and occupations.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
zoyakhan said:
No - it's certainly not OK unless you want your husband to end up with a 5 year ban from entering Canada.

You must mention the overstay in Australia if you want to have any hope of getting his PR application approved.

Jojomon

Nov 9, 2021
Hi everyone. I am PR in Canada and currently living in Canada. I got married last month in Pakistan and I want to apply for my husband's immigration. He went to Australia for study but overstayed there for 3 years. Now I am worried if that overstayed period in Australia will affect his immigration to Canada. He has no criminal record and he left Australia voluntarily, was not deported. I need some expert's advice on this matter. Please reply if you have any information regarding such scenario. Thanks
Did your husband got PR ? I have the same situation please reply

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Did your husband got PR ? I have the same situation please reply
If you had the EXACT same problem, then fill in the forms honestly and truefully. Disclose everything about your husband's history and illegal stay in Australia.