+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband just got student visa. What do I have to do for my kids and myself?

youmb00

Dec 5, 2019
We are from U.S. and my husband just got approved for student visa. I am currently already in Canada visiting family. Do I need to go back to US and re-enter with my kids with my husband's student visa? It doesn't look like there's any forms to fill out? Or can we visit a immigration office within Canada once he gets here? It's very confusing about what we should do.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We are from U.S. and my husband just got approved for student visa. I am currently already in Canada visiting family. Do I need to go back to US and re-enter with my kids with my husband's student visa? It doesn't look like there's any forms to fill out? Or can we visit a immigration office within Canada once he gets here? It's very confusing about what we should do.
You can't go to an immigration office and don't need to leave Canada. Assuming your visitor status is still valid once your husband gets here, apply online for an open work permit for yourself based on his study permit. If your visitor status is going to expire before he gets here, you can either go home and enter with him or apply online to extend your stay as a visitor and then apply for the OWP.

Are your kids in Canada with you?

youmb00

Dec 5, 2019
You can't go to an immigration office and don't need to leave Canada. Assuming your visitor status is still valid once your husband gets here, apply online for an open work permit for yourself based on his study permit. If your visitor status is going to expire before he gets here, you can either go home and enter with him or apply online to extend your stay as a visitor and then apply for the OWP.

Are your kids in Canada with you?
Thank you. Yes my kids are in Canada as well. What do they have to do?