+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband is here on Visitor Record can I apply to sponsor..

ashd85

May 26, 2017
My husband is here on a Visitor Record until August 15 2017. Im wondering if I can start our paperwork for me to sponsor him while he is here in Canada with me and will he be able to stay here until they make a decision or will he have to leave the country when his Visitor record expires on the 15th? I no we can also apply to extend his visit as well but is it necessary to do that while waiting on approval for sponsorship?

Also does my income effect whether I will be approved to sponsor him to live here?

Jeffuk88

Jan 22, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
29-06-2017
Doc's Request.
26-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
My husband is here on a Visitor Record until August 15 2017. Im wondering if I can start our paperwork for me to sponsor him while he is here in Canada with me and will he be able to stay here until they make a decision or will he have to leave the country when his Visitor record expires on the 15th? I no we can also apply to extend his visit as well but is it necessary to do that while waiting on approval for sponsorship?

Also does my income effect whether I will be approved to sponsor him to live here?
You can apply as a visitor yes. If you apply inland and apply for an OWP with it he will have implied status while youre waiting for the OWP.

There is no minimum income to sponsor... you just have to show that you can provide his basic needs

ashd85

May 26, 2017
Ok so we would still need to reapply for a visitor visa on top of the sponsorship applicaton? And you can apply for a open work permit now with a visitor visa? Or with my sponsorship application?

Blueberry_24

Feb 8, 2017
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
8/11/2016
Doc's Request.
26 September 2016 (Valid till 30 September 2017)
AOR Received.
25/11/2016
File Transfer...
7/12/2016 (NDVO mail 12-12-16)
Med's Request
Verification call from NDVO on 11May 2017
Med's Done....
Medical updated on ECAS 12 May 2017
Interview........
Not interested
Passport Req..
Hopefully soon
You try and apply asap
So before his TRV expired you should able to received AOR1 and SA approval.
While filling sponsorship application, apply for OWP (which will take approximately 3-4 month's)
So
Let's say for example you applied in July 1st week and you received your AOR1 and SA by August, so from 15th August to the time he received OWP he will be implied status (if u want you can apply for TRV extension but it's not compulsory)

ashd85

May 26, 2017
Ok so just to confirm as long as I apply and receive the Receipt that they received my application he will be able to stay here in Canada with me without us having to keep reapplying for visa's or will we need to keep the visitor visas up to date the entire time he is here while waiting for a decision? And once i have the receipt we can then apply for a open work permit? Im finding this whole application thing extremely confusing and I dont want to mess anything up

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Where is your husband from?

If you apply inland before his current Visitor Record expires and include an OWP app, his status will be maintained.

If you apply outland, he will need to apply to extend his visitor status before his current status expires.

ashd85

May 26, 2017
He is American. Ok so as long as we send in his sponsor applications before his record expires and Also apply for a Open work permit then He will be able to stay until they make a decision? Is there anything that would cause him to be denied a open work permit? And can we apply for the open work permit at the same time as we do sponsorship or do we have to wait. His visitor visa expires August 15th.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
He is American.
Apply outland. Americans are approved very quickly in most cases. He may get PR fully approved outland, in around the same time he would just get OWP inland.

Just apply to extend his visitor status shortly before Aug 15.

Reactions: carolbb23

Jeffuk88

Jan 22, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
29-06-2017
Doc's Request.
26-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
He is American. Ok so as long as we send in his sponsor applications before his record expires and Also apply for a Open work permit then He will be able to stay until they make a decision? Is there anything that would cause him to be denied a open work permit? And can we apply for the open work permit at the same time as we do sponsorship or do we have to wait. His visitor visa expires August 15th.
You send the OWP in the same package as the sponsorship... thats if you do inland. If you do outland because its overal faster, youll just have to apply to extend his visitor visa before it expires

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
APPLY OUTLAND! American apps average around 4 months, which is about how long it takes just to get the OWP with an inland app.