+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband got study permit for 2 year course, but wife got rejected for 1 year course through SDS

mzxzvk91

Nov 8, 2019
Hello people,

This is sort of a huge emergency for me. So any response which is helpful is greatly appreciated.
I am from India, and me and wife had applied for Canada Student Visa through SDS for Jan 2020 intake. My course is of 2 years (Adv. Diploma), but hers is of 1 year (Grad Cert). My visa got approved, but hers got rejected on the following grounds-
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
We are planning to reapply with updated/fresh SOP, and apart from that there wouldn't be any change that can be done with the documents. Also she is being sponsored by her parents

Is there anything that can be added to change this outcome. Because apart from the reasons of returning back to India I don't know what could've gone wrong here.

mzxzvk91

Nov 8, 2019
The visa for her got rejected again. Now she has two rejections for her application, and I don't think we can apply again.
What should be done in this case? Can someone give any insight on this matter please, because no consultant or agent is providing a solid answer on this problem.
Also, now if I go to Canada, won't it be a bigger rejection chance now that she already has a relative who is in Canada.
In this case, should I defer my application or what ???

Ashaah96

Star Member
Nov 20, 2019
The visa for her got rejected again. Now she has two rejections for her application, and I don't think we can apply again.
What should be done in this case? Can someone give any insight on this matter please, because no consultant or agent is providing a solid answer on this problem.
Also, now if I go to Canada, won't it be a bigger rejection chance now that she already has a relative who is in Canada.
Better after your enrolment there, she can apply for spouse visa, that would be better I guess( my opinion)

Manoj957

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019

Manoj957

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
Dear
You can apply for an open work permit for your wife on basis of your study permit.. This is a provision available and the information is available at cic.gc.ca

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but , and this is speculation on my part, but suspect that your wifes study permit application may have been processed independant of any application you submitted and IRCC were not convinced on her reasons to study in Canada.

Alternatively IRCC did see your application for 2 years and your wifes for 1 year (as opposed to 2 years) and concluded at the end of the year your wife would not plan to leave Canada given you would still be in the country.

Applying for a spouse accompanying work permit linked to your study permit should be treated as a different application and issued for the term of your study permit so all anyone here can do is to suggest that as an option. Your wife would not be able to study on a work permit basis though but she could accompany you for the full term.

As said above just my view and I am no expert or have any insider views of IRCC who are often unpredictable

Reactions: Vivekk9

mzxzvk91

Nov 8, 2019
Others can comment as well but , and this is speculation on my part, but suspect that your wifes study permit application may have been processed independant of any application you submitted and IRCC were not convinced on her reasons to study in Canada.

Alternatively IRCC did see your application for 2 years and your wifes for 1 year (as opposed to 2 years) and concluded at the end of the year your wife would not plan to leave Canada given you would still be in the country.

Applying for a spouse accompanying work permit linked to your study permit should be treated as a different application and issued for the term of your study permit so all anyone here can do is to suggest that as an option. Your wife would not be able to study on a work permit basis though but she could accompany you for the full term.

As said above just my view and I am no expert or have any insider views of IRCC who are often unpredictable
Yes, unpredictable is true. But in the end, my main motive is to make sure that I won't be separated from her throughout my program, whether she is going to be just a visitor or on open work permit, as per the visa that we apply.
She has more than 4 years of work experience and a good background in the IT industry. But we didn't think or predict that her study permit would have had such an outcome. And she just completed serving her long 3 month (till last week of Nov 2019) notice period. Now there is no 'employed' tag in her resume/CV. So for applying her SOWP, will the current status of 'unemployed' be a factor in refusal? And also in that case, if we have to mention about the reason of quitting her job, it will be due the fact of - assuming that the study permit was going to be granted and a 3 month notice period to serve, as per her ethics, she didn't want to just quit the job in between or abscond. Hence the resignation was applied earlier and the notice period was correctly served but only to end up without a study permit and losing the 'employed' tag.

Honestly, I am completely new to all this and I want to make sure that this attempt will get her through. Being away is more painful for us than unemployment. But taking into account the history of refusals, we are not sure of how to plan the next few months. If she applies for a job, and her SOWP comes through, she won't be able to serve the notice period for that job; and if she doesn't apply for job, and her SOWP will not come through, then there will be (atleast)3 month gap on her resume/CV which has a negative impact for her career.

I feel so helpless here.

Zan*

Jan 8, 2020
Yes, unpredictable is true. But in the end, my main motive is to make sure that I won't be separated from her throughout my program, whether she is going to be just a visitor or on open work permit, as per the visa that we apply.
She has more than 4 years of work experience and a good background in the IT industry. But we didn't think or predict that her study permit would have had such an outcome. And she just completed serving her long 3 month (till last week of Nov 2019) notice period. Now there is no 'employed' tag in her resume/CV. So for applying her SOWP, will the current status of 'unemployed' be a factor in refusal? And also in that case, if we have to mention about the reason of quitting her job, it will be due the fact of - assuming that the study permit was going to be granted and a 3 month notice period to serve, as per her ethics, she didn't want to just quit the job in between or abscond. Hence the resignation was applied earlier and the notice period was correctly served but only to end up without a study permit and losing the 'employed' tag.

Honestly, I am completely new to all this and I want to make sure that this attempt will get her through. Being away is more painful for us than unemployment. But taking into account the history of refusals, we are not sure of how to plan the next few months. If she applies for a job, and her SOWP comes through, she won't be able to serve the notice period for that job; and if she doesn't apply for job, and her SOWP will not come through, then there will be (atleast)3 month gap on her resume/CV which has a negative impact for her career.

I feel so helpless here.
Hi, how did this turn out for you? Planning to apply with spouse too.