+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hukou request for PGP

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Hello,

I am sponsoring my mother through PGP. We have given medicals, biometrics, and all the applicable PCC.

My notarial certificate of birth (which contained both my parents' names), issued by a Chinese notary office, was submitted when we applied. However, we have received a letter from IRCC asking for more proof of relationship between me and my mother:

Proof of Relationship: Please provide your Hukou (household registry) as proof of relationship to
your sponsor. If your current Hukou does not list your sponsor, please provide an older version of the Hukou that
they were registered on. Alternatively, you may submit a notarized copy of your sponsor's original Medical
Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. NOTE: Notarial certificates of
birth, relationship or kinship are not acceptable as proof of relationship.

The issue is that she moved out of China 30+ years ago, and her hukou was cancelled (we have the cancellation document -- it was policy at that time to cancel hukou for people moving abroad for 1+ years). Consequently she does not have her hukou booklet anymore, and it is not possible to be have it re-issued. Moreover, the aforementioned alternative, "Medical Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China", was issued only after 1996 (a decade after I was born). Before 1996 it was a piecemeal system where each hospital had its own registry of newborn babies... and there is no realistic way to go back to the hospital to get the Medical Certificate of Birth after 35+ years (and it wouldn't be issued by the Ministry of Health anyway).

What we have is my "hukou registration at birth" ("出生登记" in Chinese, issued by the competent Chinese local police bureau), a document that states that I was registered under my mother's hukou and I was her son. We have also a birth certificate (with both my parents' names) issued by a Chinese Embassy. Would one of these work in place of my mother's hukou booklet?

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: alexgu

anitax

Sep 7, 2022
Hi!

I am currently having the same issue. May I ask how you resolved it in the end?

Thank you!!