+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HST rebate questions

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Hello!

I am a Canadian citizen who was living abroad with my wife for the last several years. We just returned to Canada on April 15 of this year.

I was reading about the HST rebate, to see if/when I can expect to get it. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4210/gst-hst-credit.html#ostc

From what I understand, I am able to file a 2021 tax return, even though I had no Canadian income. This will allow me to get the cheques in 2022.

If this is correct, there are a couple of added questions.

- If I do this now, will I be able to get payment for the previous payments (April + July payments have already been paid out, can we get these, or are we late to the party?)
- My wife only got her PR confirmation in Feb/March 2022, and we landed in Mid-April. I assume no, but is there any way for her to get these payments as well?

Thanks in advance!

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
The credit is assessed for the family and it will depend on your worldwide income. If you earned too much money before moving, you will not receive any credit. There is a form you can file for new residents:
RC151
No need to send two, on that form it asks your marital status and your income for the current year and 2 years before that to assess the credit you should receive as a family.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!

I am a Canadian citizen who was living abroad with my wife for the last several years. We just returned to Canada on April 15 of this year.

I was reading about the HST rebate, to see if/when I can expect to get it. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4210/gst-hst-credit.html#ostc

From what I understand, I am able to file a 2021 tax return, even though I had no Canadian income. This will allow me to get the cheques in 2022.

If this is correct, there are a couple of added questions.

- If I do this now, will I be able to get payment for the previous payments (April + July payments have already been paid out, can we get these, or are we late to the party?)
- My wife only got her PR confirmation in Feb/March 2022, and we landed in Mid-April. I assume no, but is there any way for her to get these payments as well?

Thanks in advance!
The 2021 return would need to be filed on your worldwide income.