+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HR Professionals of Canada-need guidance!

rimabasu

Jun 7, 2015
Hi There

I am an Indian HR Professional with 10+ years of experience (Generalist Role) in good organizations at Deputy Manager-HR and Manager-HR levels. All experience in India but have worked with MNCs. I have a masters degree in Human Resources (recognized by WES) and a score of 8.5 in IELTS (CLB-11) (R-9, S-8, L-9, W-7.5, Ovearll-8.5). I already got my PR and will be landing in Canada soon. I was doing my research in Canadian job sites and I understand that to get a good HR job there you need to do CHRP certification. Now my queries are:

1) What are my chances of getting a job without CHRP?

2) What are my chances of getting a good (senior level) job with CHRP?

3) Is CHRP valid only in Ontario? will it not be given importance in other province as well?

4) How do I start preparing for CHRP?

5) Anyone having any course material/book/study guides for CHRP and willing to share, I will be highly obliged. Any recommended website for study material etc. If required I am willing to pay as well.

6) What can be the salary range I can look at given my background (in Ontario/in other Province) for HR Jobs?

Looking for guidance please.

P.S.: I seek first hand experience. Please don't direct me to HRPA website, I have gone through that website thoroughly but failed to find answers for the above stated questions.

bhavcaluk

Aug 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will need a Canadian education and experience to get a proper job.You will get a entry level job and shall have to struggle hard.
The jobs in HR are very few and they prefer Canadians as knowledge of Canadian work place culture and law is required.Dofficult to get a job without CHRP

Reactions: hriday_26

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
Hi There

I am an Indian HR Professional with 10+ years of experience (Generalist Role) in good organizations at Deputy Manager-HR and Manager-HR levels. All experience in India but have worked with MNCs. I have a masters degree in Human Resources (recognized by WES) and a score of 8.5 in IELTS (CLB-11) (R-9, S-8, L-9, W-7.5, Ovearll-8.5). I already got my PR and will be landing in Canada soon. I was doing my research in Canadian job sites and I understand that to get a good HR job there you need to do CHRP certification. Now my queries are:

3) Is CHRP valid only in Ontario? will it not be given importance in other province as well?

5) Anyone having any course material/book/study guides for CHRP and willing to share, I will be highly obliged. Any recommended website for study material etc. If required I am willing to pay as well.

6) What can be the salary range I can look at given my background (in Ontario/in other Province) for HR Jobs?

P.S.: I seek first hand experience. Please don't direct me to HRPA website, I have gone through that website thoroughly but failed to find answers for the above stated questions.

Here is an article published by HRVoice on Jan/19/2017 that may be of interest to you: CHRP Changes to CPHR: Recognized Globally—Except Ontario

CHRP Designation Requirements [ https://www.hrpa.ca/hr-designations/chrp ]

The Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) is the entry level designation. It is also the best known HR designation in Canada and available exclusively from HRPA. Human Resources professionals at entry level may be entering the workforce, acting in roles that are mostly administrative in nature, such as a contributing role in a larger HR function, or a sole HR practitioner in a small HR function. Individuals in this level would have responsibilities such as supporting HR initiatives, executing tasks passed down from management, and operating at the tactical and transactional levels. They often have titles such as Human Resources Assistant, Staffing Coordinator, Human Resources Clerk, or Human Resources Coordinator.

About CPHR/CRHA Canada [ https://cphr.ca/cphr-canada/about-us/ ]

We are CPHR Canada, Chartered Professionals in Human Resources.

CPHR Canada represents 27,000 members in the Human Resources Profession across nine provinces and three territories in Canada. Established in 1994, CPHR Canada is the national voice on the enhancement and promotion of the HR Profession. With an established and credible designation and collaboration on national issues, we are proactively positioning the national human resources agenda in Canada and representing the Canadian HR Profession with HR Associations around the world.

You may also want to consider taking a look at the CPHR (Chartered Professional in Human Resources) designation.

Your comments above indicate that you are already familiar with the CHRP/HRPA designation and website.

Note, I am not a HR professional; I know absolutely nothing about HR.

Requirements to achieve your CPHR
Across the nine Provinces and three territories that recognize the CPHR designation, the requirements to achieving your CPHR are consistent, but the specific processes, timing etc, reflect the needs of each association’s member community.

The CPHR education, examination and experience requirements are designed to provide candidates opportunities to develop and demonstrate the required CPHR competencies.

The requirements to become a Chartered Professional in Human Resources are:

1. Membership: Meet the requirements for membership in your CPHR member association.
  2. Knowledge: Demonstrate theoretical knowledge of the CPHR functional competencies.
  3. Education: Demonstrate knowledge of the enabling competencies and the ability to apply functional knowledge, usually through the completion of a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
  4. Professional Level Work Experience: Demonstrate professional level work experience practicing human resources, where the depth of work performed required independence of action, responsibility for outcomes, and influence with decision makers.
  5. Professional Conduct: Commit to adhere to the Code of Ethics & Rules of Professional Conduct
The CPHR Designation is overseen by your provincial member association. For specific requirements to achieve the CPHR in your province, contact your member association.​

Google.com

The above statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever (particularly the underlined portion). HRPA is the awarding body for the CHRP designation, the answer to your question 4 above is listed (as seen below) at the HRPA website (https://www.hrpa.ca/hr-designations/chrp). In fact, all your questions can/could be easily answered by simply googling the questions.

CHRP Designation Requirements
Requirements for the CHRP designation are:

Requirements for maintaining the CHRP designation are:

If you have any questions about the CHRP designation, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Last edited:
Reactions: hriday_26

hriday_26

Nov 7, 2016

Here is an article published by HRVoice on Jan/19/2017 that may be of interest to you: CHRP Changes to CPHR: Recognized Globally—Except Ontario

CHRP Designation Requirements [ https://www.hrpa.ca/hr-designations/chrp ]

The Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) is the entry level designation. It is also the best known HR designation in Canada and available exclusively from HRPA. Human Resources professionals at entry level may be entering the workforce, acting in roles that are mostly administrative in nature, such as a contributing role in a larger HR function, or a sole HR practitioner in a small HR function. Individuals in this level would have responsibilities such as supporting HR initiatives, executing tasks passed down from management, and operating at the tactical and transactional levels. They often have titles such as Human Resources Assistant, Staffing Coordinator, Human Resources Clerk, or Human Resources Coordinator.

About CPHR/CRHA Canada [ https://cphr.ca/cphr-canada/about-us/ ]

We are CPHR Canada, Chartered Professionals in Human Resources.

CPHR Canada represents 27,000 members in the Human Resources Profession across nine provinces and three territories in Canada. Established in 1994, CPHR Canada is the national voice on the enhancement and promotion of the HR Profession. With an established and credible designation and collaboration on national issues, we are proactively positioning the national human resources agenda in Canada and representing the Canadian HR Profession with HR Associations around the world.

You may also want to consider taking a look at the CPHR (Chartered Professional in Human Resources) designation.

Your comments above indicate that you are already familiar with the CHRP/HRPA designation and website.

Note, I am not a HR professional; I know absolutely nothing about HR.

Requirements to achieve your CPHR
Across the nine Provinces and three territories that recognize the CPHR designation, the requirements to achieving your CPHR are consistent, but the specific processes, timing etc, reflect the needs of each association’s member community.

The CPHR education, examination and experience requirements are designed to provide candidates opportunities to develop and demonstrate the required CPHR competencies.

The requirements to become a Chartered Professional in Human Resources are:

1. Membership: Meet the requirements for membership in your CPHR member association.
  2. Knowledge: Demonstrate theoretical knowledge of the CPHR functional competencies.
  3. Education: Demonstrate knowledge of the enabling competencies and the ability to apply functional knowledge, usually through the completion of a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
  4. Professional Level Work Experience: Demonstrate professional level work experience practicing human resources, where the depth of work performed required independence of action, responsibility for outcomes, and influence with decision makers.
  5. Professional Conduct: Commit to adhere to the Code of Ethics & Rules of Professional Conduct
The CPHR Designation is overseen by your provincial member association. For specific requirements to achieve the CPHR in your province, contact your member association.​

Google.com

The above statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever (particularly the underlined portion). HRPA is the awarding body for the CHRP designation, the answer to your question 4 above is listed (as seen below) at the HRPA website (https://www.hrpa.ca/hr-designations/chrp). In fact, all your questions can/could be easily answered by simply googling the questions.

CHRP Designation Requirements
Requirements for the CHRP designation are:

Requirements for maintaining the CHRP designation are:

If you have any questions about the CHRP designation, please contact the Office of the Registrar.
Thank you so much for taking time out to reply to my question. Much appreciated.

Amrinder12

Jun 19, 2017
Hi There

Hello Rima

I hope you have now settled in well.
I have exactly the same question.
The only difference is that I am awaiting my PR and my experience is slightly less than yours.

Is there something I can prepare from india before landing and how do these CKE 1&2 exams work?
Is there some material I can find online paid or unpaid to atleast start preparing.

I also want to know if I have already got the Wes done for my masters, do I seperately need to get the subjects attested too from Wes?

Thanks in anticipation!
Ak

shots

Nov 27, 2017
Hi There

Hi ,
Hope you have landed Canada !

Could you please update me whether you are doing any certification or got job .

Your information would be very help for us .

Thanks .

sishaikh

Oct 11, 2016
Hi Friends,
If MBA is not recognized by AICTE, then in ECA they write that the institution is not recognized. Will the profile gets rejected due to this in express entry? Please let me know. Also is IIEBM(https://iiebm.com/) Pune AICTE recognized institute.

Shramana01

Aug 3, 2020
Hi,

I am an Indian HR professional with five years of experience post my MBA from Symbiosis University. I want to start my CHRP certification process. After some research, I have decided to go for the certificate with an "ALTERNATE Route - Education". In order to do so, I will need an ECA that recognizes my MBA as a Masters's Degree. I did a WES evaluation but that didn't help. Do you know of any other ECA like ICAS, CES, or IQAS that would sign off my MBA as a Masters Degree?

Also, what is the process to get the certification, I have gone through the website but it is very confusing and if someone who has done it could share a step by step guide, it would be great. Thanks

JuzJher

Jun 19, 2022
Hello Guys,
I need your proper advice on which program for PR in Canada is the best for me, I have Dual Master's Degree (MPA/MBA) Bachelor in IT (Phil) and Post Graduate in HR (UK) (all WES evaluated). I took first my IELTS in 2018 and got a total score of 8 (expired) and renewed this time and got a total score of 6. My experiences is combination of Finance and HR (European and American Company 12Yrs), I have a CPHR BC & Yukon certification, Associate CIPD (UK), MAHRI (Australia), SHRM-CP (US) and recently passed the CISA Exam. Do you think I can get even an entry level for HR Professional jobs in Canada and which program you suggest for me to follow except express entry since my IELTS score this time is total of 6.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Guys,
I need your proper advice on which program for PR in Canada is the best for me, I have Dual Master's Degree (MPA/MBA) Bachelor in IT (Phil) and Post Graduate in HR (UK) (all WES evaluated). I took first my IELTS in 2018 and got a total score of 8 (expired) and renewed this time and got a total score of 6. My experiences is combination of Finance and HR (European and American Company), I have a CPHR BC certification, Associate CIPD (UK) MAHRI (Australia), SHRM (US). Do you think I can get even an entry level for HR Professional jobs in Canada and which program you suggest for me to follow except express entry since my IELTS score this time is total of 6.
Are you eligible for Express Entry? Assume you have ECA for masters?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, My WES Equivalency result (3Yrs Bachelor/ Two Master's Degree and 1 Year Post Graduate)
my IELTS result is my problem at this time
So you need to redo IELTS to be eligible for EE? Chances of a job with LMIA re low. Look at PNP programs based on CRS score and PNP scores. As for jobs once you get PR, you are competing with those who have Canadian experience so nothing is certain.