5/12/2015
File Transfer...
File trans / Mar 2016
Med's Done....
Up front 15/08/2015
LANDED..........
File withdrew
scylla said:
If you have a question for Dobra Vila you'll need to post it to the forum. Dobra Vila doesn't have enough posts on the forum to respond to a private message.
Thank you - sorry I didn't think you need enough post on the forum to receive a private message
How did you know that?

needhimback

Oct 30, 2013
Toronto Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain (Trinidad)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/10/2015- CIC received my application 16/10/2015
AOR Received.
5/12/2015
File Transfer...
File trans / Mar 2016
Med's Done....
Up front 15/08/2015
LANDED..........
File withdrew
Thanks dobra.
But I'm still really nervous to find this out - as mentioned this was over 15 years ago and I can't understand why they wouldn't have contracted me within 15 years. I was on ow serveral times before I landed my permanent job with the Government ,if this was the case, why wasn't my name in the system for owning welfare ??? - you think

Dobra do you know if the 1800 number will provide you with ant answers or will they just redirect my call elsewhere. (Anyone please answer if they know this question)

My responsibility has a sponsor with the ex was ended in 2011..... I so hope I'm ok, I need to be with my husband again and continue our life, like we had here in Toronto. Any advise is welcome

Thanks everyone great,y appreciate

Dobra Vila

Oct 27, 2014
Hi needhimback,
I am not sure if they will redirect you elsewhere, but I'm sure they are the right place to start.
When I called them, they had to contact the local welfare office to find out how much I owed. That took about 8 weeks until I was told what the amount was. After I sent the payment it took another 6 weeks for them to process the payment and for me to receive the clearance. After that we had to gather all the documents again for the sponsorship and submit the application again. All in all this delayed my application for almost 6 months and cost hundreds of dollars, not counting the amount I owed. That is why I'm saying that you should find out before applying. I understand you are scared. I was too, but either way you are going to have to deal with it sooner or later. Being how it's been 15 years since your last sponsorship, in my opinion, chances are that your ex was not on welfare and you are good to go :).
I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you have no reason to worry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
needhimback said:
Thank you - sorry I didn't think you need enough post on the forum to receive a private message
How did you know that?
This is a standard safety feature in many forums. It's in place to prevent spammers from joining and bombarding members with messages. Once someone has a minimum number of posts on the forum (10 or 20), they are then allowed to send PMs.

needhimback

Oct 30, 2013
Toronto Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain (Trinidad)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
5/12/2015
File Transfer...
File trans / Mar 2016
Med's Done....
Up front 15/08/2015
LANDED..........
File withdrew
Dobra Vila said:
Hi needhimback,
I am not sure if they will redirect you elsewhere, but I'm sure they are the right place to start.
When I called them, they had to contact the local welfare office to find out how much I owed. That took about 8 weeks until I was told what the amount was. After I sent the payment it took another 6 weeks for them to process the payment and for me to receive the clearance. After that we had to gather all the documents again for the sponsorship and submit the application again. All in all this delayed my application for almost 6 months and cost hundreds of dollars, not counting the amount I owed. That is why I'm saying that you should find out before applying. I understand you are scared. I was too, but either way you are going to have to deal with it sooner or later. Being how it's been 15 years since your last sponsorship, in my opinion, chances are that your ex was not on welfare and you are good to go :).
I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you have no reason to worry.
thanks so much - I hope that all good will turn out for me.... I just can't understand if I too was a client of welfare why wouldn't I be told that I owe.?...Maybe because I don't owe , who knows, like you said "sooner or later I will know

I'm so sorry you had to pay back all that money, I can only imagine The huge amount you were faced with (so sad)
Anyways I would keep you posted , thanks again

BCKev

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2010
Doc's Request.
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-02-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Passport Req..
25-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
22-11-2014
needhimback said:
thanks so much - I hope that all good will turn out for me.... I just can't understand if I too was a client of welfare why wouldn't I be told that I owe.?...Maybe because I don't owe , who knows, like you said "sooner or later I will know

I'm so sorry you had to pay back all that money, I can only imagine The huge amount you were faced with (so sad)
Anyways I would keep you posted , thanks again
I was in a similar situation to you in 2008: just got married, and applying for spousal sponsorship. I hadn't given any thought to a previous sponsorship years ago where my ex collected welfare. I got very worried about the whole thing, dreaming up huge amounts I would have to pay the government.

As it turned out, everything was settled with a single phone call (in B.C.). My ex had collected welfare in the last 2 or 3 months of that undertaking, back in 1991. They told me I owed nothing, and would send me a letter to that effect. They also sent a letter to CIC.

Problem solved with one phone call. Perhaps I was lucky, but I was much relieved knowing what the real situation was.

needhimback

Oct 30, 2013
Toronto Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain (Trinidad)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
5/12/2015
File Transfer...
File trans / Mar 2016
Med's Done....
Up front 15/08/2015
LANDED..........
File withdrew
BCKev said:
I was in a similar situation to you in 2008: just got married, and applying for spousal sponsorship. I hadn't given any thought to a previous sponsorship years ago where my ex collected welfare. I got very worried about the whole thing, dreaming up huge amounts I would have to pay the government.

As it turned out, everything was settled with a single phone call (in B.C.). My ex had collected welfare in the last 2 or 3 months of that undertaking, back in 1991. They told me I owed nothing, and would send me a letter to that effect. They also sent a letter to CIC.

Problem solved with one phone call. Perhaps I was lucky, but I was much relieved knowing what the real situation was.
omg- are you serious - so he collect and it didn't affect you at all- wow that's excellent, I feel the joy for you and hope this could happen to me too

He was on welfare and maybe no documents were send to cic- sometimes these thing fall through the cracks i hear

I can only pray and need to stop letting this bother me

Thanks so much for your story